« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2010, 8:39 am »

Thanks Brian - it should either be fixed or cut up for scrap by lunch time today !  I'll not bring it to the event as I want to get some hours in controlled conditions before going into 'dangerous' waters - let everything bed down and check all the fittings ! 

Safe journey !

Ross

kevthehover

« Reply #30 on: Sep 02, 2010, 11:50 pm »

Check to make sure its not got wet thats a common fault with them

Kev

« Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2010, 11:42 pm »

Its not doing a lot at the moment Kev
The body control module is on the blink again yes there is a ticking time bomb under your Rangies drivers seat ???

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2010, 11:42 pm »

Ross, do not forget my offer still stands of a lift, will be sad to miss all the fun!

I will be leaving sometime tomorrow once I get everything sorted and packed, was going to do that tonight but got into a big argument with the police! for the second night running! Long story but I will be seeing the authorities about them!

Anyway, I could swing by and lend a hand on the way down if that helps at all?

Speak later,

B.

kevthehover

« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2010, 11:32 pm »

whats it not doin apart from running then Trev

« Reply #26 on: Sep 02, 2010, 11:15 pm »

I know where you are coming from Ross

Trev spent 3 hrs bashind his head of a Range Rover  today with NO results
It broke down the day after I spoke to you at the hovercraft museum Nightmare end to holiday O the joys ???

« Reply #25 on: Sep 02, 2010, 11:01 pm »

That makes two of us  :'(

Having spent over 8 hours attempting to change bearings and align the pulleys, its been a total nightmare and the craft is in almost as many bits now as it was at lunch time.  Turns out one of the fan hub bearings is obsolete and I've had to cannibalise the old oil seal as the bearing no longer has one supplied as standard and I didn't think to order one separately.  It was eventually easier to remove the entire thrust frame and work on it on the bench - but of course it has sprung slightly and with the engine in situ its impossible to line up the bottom bolts - so tomorrow morning the engine has to come out.

Add a few little things like the grp fan nose cone being glassed into position, narrower new bottom bearings that cocked up the pulley position and fouled the drive donut and about 6 trial fits -  its just not been a good day - praise be Gill was there to answer the phone, run the business and keep the lights on!

At least I've found out WHY the bottom bearing failed - well started grumbling, it was nowhere near failing.  There was no sealer on the shaft, so salt water could run back along the inside of the inner race and get into the bottom bearing. 

At least I can now go out without carrying a belt and drive spares.  Changing them at sea or on a beach would be totally impossible. :o

There is no way we will be operating at the Hunt and the way its looking I may just drop in for a short while to hand out some stickers.  Assuming I can move tomorrow - I had hoped my days of  lying full length on the cockpit floor fighting nuts and bolts was over but it seems if you have a hover you just have to accept it.  I usually tell people that its an operating ratio of 4 : 1 - 4 hours maintenance to 1 hour operating. Thats optimistic at present!

One light in the darkness.  Bearing Boys are first rate.  Cheaper than other suppliers, ordered at 3.00 pm and arrived by 9.30 am the next day - and very helpful + the club discount.

This is the third time I've missed the Treasure Hunt. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ross
( who can hardly move tonight, being over 50, over the hill, p****d off and spent most of the day lying in contorted positions not normally possible for a human body )

« Reply #24 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:46 pm »

I was down that way the start of Aug and had to be recovered back to Scotland on the back of a AA recovery truck and the Rangie has still not come back to life ,My land Rover and Hovercraft  seem to be a Love-Hate relationship this year lets hope 2011 is a better year  ;)

The wearther is lookin good up here for the w- end hope you get the same

« Reply #23 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:12 pm »

Hope you all have a great time at the hunt this weekend. Sorry Im not there as No operational tow vehicle or hover machine in working condition the only thing working this weekend is Me but will be thinking of you guys havin fun on the Severn I will return one day  ;D

Trev

Sorry you're not coming ... We'll keep a bit of the river warm for you ...

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2010, 9:58 pm »

im now worried that me 22 ltr tank ain't big enough

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2010, 9:54 pm »

Sorry that you are not coming Trev, you know there will always be a seat in mine for you... when I have not broken that as well!

Be good,

B.

« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2010, 9:26 pm »

Twin 22ltr  tanks!!!!!  :o

That's what I carry in the spare fuel hold of HMS engine meltdown plus 38 ltr in the on-board fuel tank ???

1 x 5ltr +2 x 20ltr + 38 ltr fuel tank This is how much fuel a Osprey 5 needs to go CRUSIN with the SEV Boys :D

I will have to get my hover weighed to shock all of you to how heavy it really is remember It was made for going down hardcore roads in the bond film It is built like a hover tank.

Hope you all have a great time at the hunt this weekend. Sorry Im not there as No operational tow vehicle or hover machine in working condition the only thing working this weekend is Me but will be thinking of you guys havin fun on the Severn I will return one day  ;D

Trev

« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2010, 6:52 pm »

Hi

I carry twin 22 ltr tanks... as you say nearly the weight of a person, then you add tools, spares & equipment. Which is why the craft is rated at 3 persons max (more normally 2) despite the fact it is rated for 4. 

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

atters

« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2010, 10:53 am »

What size tanks do you two carry, must be at least 50ltr tanks. That is the weight of nother person almost. ;)

« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2010, 8:06 pm »

Looks like I was doing about 1.8 galls/hour... about 44ltr/10gall for the 6 hours... seems about right given that my craft is a bit smaller.

Compare that with my Osprey - 44 ltrs was good for about 2 hours!

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK