Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2010, 11:55 am »

You have to admit, that is engineering at its VERY best!

I do not know why but it does live and breath!

Things that I love but will never own... Water Mill with the workings intact, Steam Beam Engine....

Nice to dream...

Nice one,

B.

gavinparson

« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2010, 7:31 am »

Just for you steam freaks....

Paddle Steamer 'Kingswear Castle' Engines

atters

« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2010, 6:30 am »

Not Hiding, Just every time I think of the Tax Offices here I think back on all the agrivation they caused, you would think that they would know what they expect from you and how to workout how much you owe them. And the lines go on for ever, then you get to a counter and they say that you need to be at a different counter, only to end up at the same counter and the same person who then helps you with your original problem. Almost shot someone that day.

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2010, 9:14 pm »

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic invitation Ross, I would be drooling over them I am sure!

Right, so I will see you tomorrow night! :-))))))))))))

I have always promised myself to go and visit some of the stationary engines that dot our little island, one day!

Speak soon,

B.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2010, 8:13 pm »

I did the sad, stare at the Waverley's gigantic crankshaft going round thing, truly amazing and it gets up to a good speed in the water. That was a memorable experience with engine watchers being passed on the gantrys by well oiled party goer's on hen doo's wearing flashing LED headbands and T shirts with unrepeatable slogans on them........................funny though!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2010, 9:23 pm by Steve Holland »
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2010, 7:47 pm »

Absolutely - all the ships have open engine rooms - you can stand there all day, sniff the warm oil and watch the cranks - there should be a website for Waverley and Kingswear Castle if you google.  I think you can get to see Medway Queen being rebuilt too - as a life member of the PSPS I guess I can arrange something if you want to see it next time you are with us.

Ross

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2010, 7:34 pm »

Boy did I miss a lot when I was there with you last! I would have loved to have seen that working!

Do they let you see the inner workings or has the H&S people stopped that! Can you also go and see the other hull being built?

I need to get my little act together and get out there!

Many thanks Ross,

B.

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2010, 7:29 pm »

The 'paddle steamer thingy'  is Kingswear Castle -an ex River Dart steamer -  very much in steam Brian - part of the PSPS - fully restored and operated durimg the summer on passenger trips. :) :) :)

They are also building a new hull for Medway Queen in Bristol !!

Ross

gavinparson

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2010, 6:28 pm »

http://fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digital/digital-cameras/slim-compact/finepix-z100

Case is P10NA00270A

It is small and neat and slips into your pocket nicely (when not in the waterproof case). Personally I don't think it takes the best pictures. My old S5000 4 meg camera can take better pics but it's bulky.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2010, 6:11 pm »

Gavin, I'm impressed with the low spray which is not what I've seen when accompanying some hovercaft out there.

I am also impressed with the picture quality of the camera, enough to go check out the range or whatever is the newest version of yours.

gavinparson

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2010, 5:51 pm »

Brian:- Yes I was up early as I was going to see Uncle Kev.

Atters- What can I say? Are you avoiding the tax man?

Steve- That's just a Fuji Z100FD digital camera. As the Firefly generates no spray, no need for the waterproof case which I use for diving or kayaking.
Don't need earplugs for low speed cruising. I use corded plugs on long runs like the Raid. You can see them on one of my gallery pics. They've got an orange cord.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2010, 6:23 pm by gavinparson »

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2010, 10:20 am »

What model camera is that Gavin? Maybe we should start a section on cameras etc as we use them so much. Do you wear earplugs?

atters

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2010, 9:57 am »

Nice trip..

You had to show the tax office  >:(  I was hoping to use that I could not find it as an excuse. :P

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2010, 8:13 am »

Nice one Gavin.

Questions...

Is that steam paddle thing still a steamer? bet its not!

WHAT TIME DO YOU GET UP!!!!!!!!!! Posted at 18 to 6!!!!!

Cheers buddy,

B.

gavinparson

« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2010, 5:42 am »