« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2019, 5:30 pm »

Tension the governor with a spring.
Don’t leave it flapping because it will ruin your engine.
I have toms old engine and it was full of metal particles from the hockey stick hitting the crank case.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2019, 10:18 am »

I bought a craft with a 35 hp Briggs in it was not running right intermittently replaced some parts it whose ok for some time  then started again and it hade a good service . I decided to get a new engine Briggs 35 hp sold old engine on as  spares or repair the new owner of the engine stripped it down  gave me updated on it the was metal  particles in the oil he said as the Governor was loose and rattling around the foot on the shaft of the governor  was trying to in to engage .  On the new engine I removed the Governor by removing the site plate to get to it befor fitting the engine cutting foot off the bottom of shaft and remove over parts that's not needed replacing the Governor shaft so it blocks off the hole in The casing by refitting the Modified Gover shaft . Hope that helps  . Tom

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2019, 8:44 am »

On my Briggs 23hp Vanguard the governor is still in place but is tied off with a spring.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2019, 7:48 pm »

How to remove and whats involved to remove the Governer from Briggs and stratton  engine . Look on YouTube Under Flying Fish Re moving The Governer .  Hope that  Helps.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 7:17 pm »

Does one physically remove the governor or simply disconnect the linkage ??
While I'm here, how do you link the throttle cable to the carb ?
On the Kohler I removed the whole lot and plugged the hole in the timing gear casing. Some engines have an oil thrower on the governor gear so on those you would leave the gear. Some people just tie the linkage.
Its usually easy to link the throttle cable to the butterfly lever on the carb. I'll rummage for some pics later.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 7:25 am »

Does one physically remove the governor or simply disconnect the linkage ??
While I'm here, how do you link the throttle cable to the carb ? 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 8:56 pm »

Governor s are used to keep the revs constant on a machine with varying loads such as a stump grinder. Since the hovercraft has a constant load it's not needed. The main reason to take them off is reliability. That arrangement of springs and levers is soon going to seize up in a marine environment.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 8:52 pm »

I have always removed the governor set up from my previous hovercraft engines as it seems to be the normal thing to do within the hovercraft community.  I don't fully understand how the governor works but I believe its to stop the engine over working itself.  I can see this causing issues if you apply the power to tighten a turning circle, or trying to get over hump and the engine revs drop momentarily.

But for a twin engine craft would it be such a problem leaving the governor set up on the lift engine?