« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2013, 12:42 pm »

I've just (re)found this clip which has a section on Loch Etive through the Connel Bridge (abut 4:40 on) - it's obviously all been done before (20 years ago  ::) ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMAmH5g8lt8#

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2013, 6:54 pm »

Nick if you took off in a helicopter and went west from Johns place at loch Fyne its about 22 miles away as the crow fly's .Its the best video I have seen of Corryvreckan to date.

Billy that's a good tip  ;) but i wouldn't want to put it to the test  :D the easiest way to get away with a hover is drive up the beach and keep going  ;D

Skipper Billy

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2013, 6:17 pm »

You can hear Corryvrechan from 20 miles away when its really letting rip !! If ever you are trying to outrun a Navy ship or Customs boat go through Corryvrechan - they aren't allowed to go through there!!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2013, 4:22 pm »

WoW Trev! That was "just the ticket"! Super music and views to calm my stressed soul.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2013, 2:40 pm »

Here is another bit of wild water just down the coast from Loch Etive and a explanation why it happens..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5SKPVPIZ3I#at=668

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2013, 9:26 am »

Those falls look like fun!  Bryan Phillips and I have run similar waters in Deception Pass when he used to live in Anacortes, WA.  There once was a sailboat trying to run against the 10 knot current...quite unsuccessfully I might add...and he tried to motion us over and take a tow line on the Explorer to help him out.  We just smiled and declined and told him to consult the tide tables for when the tide becomes slack.

The rapids, boils, and whirlpools are quite spectacular when Deception Pass is running at peak ebb/flood!

John Carter
www.hovernut.com
Hoverclub of America, Amphibious Marine & SEVTEC Kits

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2013, 6:14 am »

a place of truly outstanding beauty 

« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2013, 8:08 pm »

Spent yesterday cruising on Loch Etive along with Ian and new Surveyor owners David and Tim.  Ian was delivering the craft and training both guys and I couldn't resist re-visiting such a spectacular place again after our camping trip there during the Scottish Hoverin back in May.

I trailered up to Taynuilt and launched there, heading down the Loch the 7 miles or so to Connel Bridge to meet up with the others who were training on the sand/gravel beach next to Oban airport (Ardmucknish bay).  Unfortunately I reached the bridge just on low tide when the Falls of Lora were at their most active.  I didn't fancy the look of them  (coward!) so parked up under one end of the bridge and wandered along the shore towards the others (only about 400m or so).  After getting around half way I looked back and realised the Falls were calming down slightly (still quite impressive though!).  I passed through them next to the opposite bank where the water was less turbulent (flow rate must have been 12knots or more though).  There are whirlpools, standing waves and all sorts of other water "features" all around the area.

David and Tim had completed their basic training when I arrive so, as it was a beautiful day,  we decided to cruise up to Taynuilt for practise.  We had to pass back up through the Falls again - a bit of a baptism of fire for new pilot David (he managed excellently - a natural!).  The Falls look like a 100m wide giant bath drain as the water accelerated into the "hole" in the centre!   After a cup of tea and a biscuit (Kelly Kettle strikes again!) and a sit around in the warm sunshine at Taynuilt we set off back down the Loch again to Dunstaffnage Marine through the bridge.  After yet more tea and sitting around we bid farewell to David and Tim (although I'm absolutely certain we'll see them again pretty soon!).  Ian then drove up to Taynuilt where I would meet him. 

By this time the tide has reversed and the Falls were active once again!  The water was being pushed back up over the falls this time making a completely different wave system!.  A bit bumpy but no problem for a hovercraft!  Further up the Loch there was a very strange area near an island where the water was travelling sideways both ways at the same time in the same area - very odd and quite dizzying when you looked at it!

As it was still fairly early in the evening and I had to get rid of some fuel ( ::) ) so we decided to take a trip up towards the head of the Loch.  We end up at the camp area we used in May.  It was busy (there was one guy and his son with a a canoe wild camping  ??? ).  After chatting for a while (and collecting some rubbish left there by some low-life!!!) we set off back down the loch towards the setting sun.  We cruised down the opposite shore enjoying the warmth  and sun.  Even spotted a white tailed Eagle (I think - ornithology isn't my strong point but it was a BIG eagle'y type thing  :-[ ).

With this kind of weather this area is unbeatable - beautiful water, spectacular mountains, beaches and wildlife everywhere AND almost completely empty and unspoilt (a hover paradise  :) ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4t8Q6KS-es#

Note to self: remember to clean the camera lense properly BEFORE using it  :-[