« Reply #24 on: Jun 19, 2012, 6:57 am »

my stators came loose because I thought peel rivets were enough. I was wrong an some,not all came loose and started to rattle. I glued and re riveted the one that needed it. No problems since.
Nothing else on the craft has come loose and I used  peel rivets for everything.

Kip

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2012, 9:25 pm »

I would suggest that you check your stators Jon as I agree with Mr Speedo.
They do work loose in some areas.

Kip

« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2012, 9:16 pm »

my duct is held on with peel rivets, so is the stator blades, saddle clips, the ally strip all around the craft that holds the skirt on, the dash board and the mounts which suspend the exhaust.

None of which have vibrated loose. perhaps you have used too short a rivet in the past, or maybe a bad batch?  >:(

I do agree i also have a bag of 20mm dia ally washers with a 4.8dia hole in the middle for using with blind rivets. these i used to hold on the handles on the side of the craft. better at spreading the load.

Speedthing 69

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2012, 7:47 pm »

Peel rivets are worse than screws in areas of vibration and are only too be used  inconjunction with an adhesive. you will find after a sort time on a duct the rivet will work lose . Only speaking from my own findings . M5 nut and bolt or blind rivet and washer it much better .  :)

« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2012, 6:29 pm »

i used the saddle clips from ken, but use cable ties instead of the rubber thingys!

as kip says once the guard is on there i would expect it to stay on there, untill the blades go pink or something goes thru the fan to nessesitate changing a blade.

you mentioned using screws into the duct, i personally would not use screws on a hovercraft into anything. hold your clips on with peel rivets!

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2012, 9:27 am »

The saddle clips in stainless steel are a better solution, one brand is "SeaSure"  but Ken stocks other brands too. Be sure to specify exactly what size you need if you contact him.

Kip

« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2012, 8:16 am »

Go to work Ian.

Kip

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2012, 8:15 am »

Saddle clips can be had from K&M

http://www.kmproducts.co.uk/

I use p clips in conjunction with some little 'S' hooks to give the quick release function. Look up S hook on ebay they can be had various sizes
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Kip

« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2012, 8:09 am »

We hardly ever use those Insuloid mounts nowadays.The main reason being that
reliability has increased so much lately.
Fan blade breakages which were almost a weekly occurence no longer happen.
Belts stay on much longer.
The need for guard removal is much less frequent and we now tend to use more permanent attachment points and cable ties.

Kip

« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2012, 7:51 am »

Thanks guys for the input!  With all the other crazy links on his site, I found it hard to believe any of the claims.  Sometime or another when I have the notion, I might attempt to contact him for samples and more data.  He had an 'upgraded' SEV skirt on his page, which prompted my curiosity.  I'm just about to weld-up a polyurethane skirt for the Fan-Tastic.

Oh, does anyone have a source for the little plastic/nylon saddle standoffs with the rectangular rubber elastic that's commonly used on integrated craft for fastening the guard to the thrust duct?  The ones I've seen say "Insuloid C1"  I've googled my brains out to find those suckers!  Instead of screws and P-clips to hold the SEV fishnet to the duct, I was going for a fastener that would afford easier access to the engine, fan, prop, and bearings.  Plus, repeated fastening/removing of the P-clip screws would eventually strip out the fiberglass in the duct.

Thanks!
John Carter
www.hovernut.com
Hoverclub of America, Amphibious Marine & SEVTEC Kits

Kip

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2012, 4:52 pm »

Hulbert or Key?
My moneys on "Mental H"
As soon as I saw the mentionof HovPod!! and Scat as we know died 20 years ago.
Kip

« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2012, 4:02 pm »

"Geodetically computerized extended trimmed segments?",
"
EOPTH - Emergency Orange Polyurethane-Teflon Hoverfabric"
You have got to admit it sounds good :)

gavinparson

« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2012, 3:41 pm »

Hulbert or Key?

Kip

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2012, 3:34 pm »

Its a scam. Bet your lives on it.
Screams of lunacy.
Kip

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2012, 1:21 pm »

My daughter undertook a catering course there. It exists but dont know of any applied science dept!, HOWEVER my "ignorance of something" does not say it is not so!!!! ;)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT