« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2011, 10:22 pm »

Funny, I was searching for that vid recently and cant find it. Maybe we should pay more attention to Hitler :) .  As for the scout, here it is running again in the hands of some suspect operators, "come in number 5" 
The Scout has had an eventfull life, remember Chris Daly lost in Lough Derg with no steering.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011, 10:28 pm by Philip »

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2011, 9:53 pm »

Yes that sounds like a sore one on land ??? hope it hasn't put you off using it as its a great wee machine for rivers and it will keep up with a f fish no problem ;D

saor gaoith

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2011, 9:34 pm »

The only damage was to the prop cage. When John builds one, he builds it well. What happened was that I forgot that I was in a cruiser and not a racer. I cornered too sharply at speed on wet sand. The next thing I knew was that I was checking if I could move my fingers and toes. Fortunately, no bones were broken. I pulled the cage off the prop and tried to drive it back to the slipway. The tension had loosened on the belt and it would not push the craft with my weight inside. I walked it back. Philip has a video somewhere of his approach immediately after I rolled it.
at the moment it needs a new cage and prop. Other wise it is in very good condition.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2011, 9:31 pm »

I have cruised alongside that little sev loads of times and never got the impression that it would roll easily, it was always reliable and stable while on hover and off hover on the water.

What do you think caused it to roll ? was it operating out with is capabilities or was it the common shutting the lift off at the wrong moment = dig in flip or something else ?

implanecrazy

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2011, 9:17 pm »

The Scout that John built (presently in my garage) is fitted with a 21hp v-twin Honda. Not a craft to take lightly as I found out in Tralee. Rolls well, though.

Is it still usable or in need of repair?  Barry Palmer worked out that flip over speed is around 56mph.  I think he means flip over backwards.

What happened to cause the craft to roll?

saor gaoith

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2011, 9:02 pm »

The Scout that John built (presently in my garage) is fitted with a 21hp v-twin Honda. Not a craft to take lightly as I found out in Tralee. Rolls well, though.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2011, 3:52 pm »

Hill climbing with a hovercraft is all about momentum - get a good run up and you can get up surprisingly steep hills! 

Hill starts are a different ball game and come down to thrust,  Easy to work out the maximum slope angle - it's the thrust divided by the weight then multiplied by 90.  This assumes a perfect smooth surface with no friction - in the real world pebbles, sticky mud and grass all dramatically increase friction and climb ability.

The Scout is a great fun little craft and surprisingly nimble:

Hovercraft on River

implanecrazy

« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2011, 1:41 pm »

I am quite impressed how well this little scout climbs the bank with only 12HP.

Sevtec Scout
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011, 3:41 pm by Al »