Kip

« Reply #1955 on: Nov 04, 2016, 5:28 pm »

It was one of the Museum lads who is OK.
My guess would be insufficient strengthening of the lower hull at the bow.
This more than likely bowed right in with the force of a strong wave causing it to tear off at the upper attachment.
Once caved in it would be game over.
Kip

« Reply #1954 on: Nov 04, 2016, 4:43 pm »

I would have thought recovering the HC, regardless of its state, would prevent further calls to the Emergency Services in the event it was spotted drifting out at sea.

« Reply #1953 on: Nov 04, 2016, 2:29 pm »

A good reason to support the RNLI, they even recovered the HC!!!

« Reply #1952 on: Nov 04, 2016, 8:44 am »

That last picture does not show the bow torn off as in the newspaper picture, so looks like it was torn off during recovery, but as you say, they certainly went the full monty trying to help the owner.
I was once hit by a rogue wave, (Off Abersoc, Wales) which came from the SHORE, and hit a shore bound wave right under my speed boat. This created a wave  about 7 feet high, and when  I landed, (about three minutes later,)  it broke the underside of the boat.. I limped back and GRP repaired it at home! Well times were hard! ::)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #1951 on: Nov 04, 2016, 8:25 am »

Recovery pics are on FB HERE

For no-FB users, some pix:

Looks like the duct damage was probably caused by banging on rocks, etc.

Craft isn't much use as a lifeboat if it only "floats" under the surface!  I'm actually surprised the LB crew got into the water just to  recover a craft- that's above and beyond - I certainly wouldn't do it.  Whoever the craft owner was - they were very lucky to get ashore!
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2016, 9:15 am by John Robertson »

« Reply #1950 on: Nov 03, 2016, 9:23 pm »

Craft was a stretched osprey.

« Reply #1949 on: Nov 03, 2016, 7:42 pm »

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/hovercraft-rescued-off-the-isle-of-wight-96674.aspx

Don't think anyone was hurt - craft looks a bit small for single operation off the Needles ?

« Reply #1948 on: Nov 03, 2016, 6:53 pm »

Eh? Hit a wave??? Must have been a very hard wave!!!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1947 on: Nov 03, 2016, 6:33 pm »

Looking at the damage it hit pretty hard, I hope no one was hurt.
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

Kip

« Reply #1946 on: Nov 03, 2016, 6:10 pm »

« Reply #1945 on: Nov 02, 2016, 10:27 pm »

:o ................................ :)
A BHC Marlin mk3 and Coastal Pro  Owner

« Reply #1944 on: Nov 01, 2016, 8:41 am »

Just received this from Dave Wall, (Old thyme hovercrafter  of yore---)
I suggest if you've any interest, then contact him directly please--. Nick Flint
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A friend of mine has two tickets for the Formula 1 final race of the season The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, at the Yas Marina circuit.  They are box seats, and include flights, hospitality, and hotel accommodation. 
He didn't realise when he bought them that this is the same day as his wedding.  If you're interested and want to go instead of him... it's at St Johns Church, Worcester at 2.15pm.  Her name is Susan - the one wearing the white dress. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #1943 on: Oct 26, 2016, 8:18 pm »

Camo with a bright orange skirt. Make their minds up.

« Reply #1942 on: Oct 26, 2016, 12:08 am »

I notice on another page that the white one is named "FAIKING". Well, I want a faiking hovercraft,,,although they claim that it's "NO better than other hovercraft""

« Reply #1941 on: Oct 25, 2016, 8:52 pm »