Russ Pullen

« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2010, 4:17 am »

Its all very well to say that a craft is set up for only one speed (WTF that means!) and to angle the duct and all the other ideas, but you also have to factor in the multitude of other factors that effect trim such as weight/weight distribution, wind direction, gradient to name a few.

IMHO, angling the duct is simply a waste of time because it only allows for the same static adjustment of trim that any craft without movable ballast and aero devices has.

« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2010, 12:57 am »

They could have put UJs in front of the fans to level them though
The harmonics set up by a UJ spinning at 1500rpm while correcting a 8-10degree misalignment don't bear thinking about; the fan would shake itself to bits unless very heavily built. Also UJs capable of taking 4000bhp are very heavy.

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2010, 8:27 am »

UJ's are crap, you need CV joints as in the front axle on the Range-Rover/110/90.....

B.

gavinparson

« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2010, 8:06 am »

They could have put UJs in front of the fans to level them though

« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2010, 3:16 am »

Looking at the Flight cutaway, they just flipped the gearboxes! Now that's what I call economising! :) I guess after the cost of building VT1 on spec(or at the behest of the NRDC) and not getting even a sniff of an order they were looking to do things as cheaply as possible.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2010, 6:47 pm »

The Vosper VT1 was converted from a marine drive to air fans ( becoming the VT2 ! ) and they found that inclining the fans at an angle to suit the propshafts coupled direct to the engines was more efficient than running through additional gearboxes to provide a horizontal fan shaft.

R

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2010, 5:45 pm »

Inclined thrust was tried on this craft (picture attached) an interesting feature was it compressed the craft which mean't when you throttled back the reduction in friction then causes the craft to accelerate which then makes the handling like nothing you have ever driven!

As many have experienced, when you apply the thrust, the nose will want to go down. This is because the thrust is applied at the center of the prop/fan, known as the thrust line. As the thrust line is above the rest of the craft, on a 'moment arm', at produces a nose-down 'moment' (or torque) on the whole craft. This isn't great, as it upsets our carefully balanced craft. Higher thrust line = bigger issue

There are several ways to deal with this problem, and one way is to incline the thrust line so that it passes through the center of gravity (bit of a simplification but close enough). What this does, as Derek points out, is generate another undesirable fact - we now are using some of our precious thrust just to compress the cushion. Not great!

Other ways to deal with the problem (you'll recognise most of these):

1 - Trim the craft 'nose up' when static - most smaller craft.  Essentially a compromise - the amount of nose-up trim is right only for one speed (or acceleration). Eg Flying Fish.

2 - Fit elevators. These do the same as the inclined thrust line by deflecting the airflow upwards, but are probably more efficient being right at the extreme stern of the craft. And they are adjustable, so can be set for any given cruise condition. Eg Osprey 5 & many others

3 - Fit a cushion divider. This works by responding the the nose-down by increasing the cushion pressure in the front compartment to balance the nose-down moment. Eg all sevs, SRN4.

Cheers
Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

atters

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2010, 4:17 pm »

I remember seeing it flip in one of Paulz video's.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2010, 5:52 pm »

Inclined thrust was tried on this craft (picture attached) an interesting feature was it compressed the craft which mean't when you throttled back the reduction in friction then causes the craft to accelerate which then makes the handling like nothing you have ever driven!

Kip

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2010, 11:30 am »

Very Skima-ish. I would put my money on it being Barry Oakley driving a Skima 3
Kip

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2010, 11:09 am »

The inclined prop has little effect - all it does is "waste" maybe 10-15% of the thrust power fighting the lift system.  This stuff has been tried before - probably the biggest example being the VT2 (you don't see them around any more - i wonder why  ::) )

BTW - anyone (Kip?) recognise the small craft/pilot in the foreground - must have been around 1975-79ish?
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2010, 11:11 am by John Robertson »

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2010, 10:58 am »

You would think that the inclined thrust would put some force downward at the rear. It may help keep the nose up. It would also compress lift a little, may be we should try and contact them for some information.
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

implanecrazy

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2010, 8:22 am »

I can see it has two engines now :-[ .  Certainly seems to have plenty of spare thrust.  I wonder if the prop inclined like it is, makes any difference to down force on the rear end of the craft?

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2010, 10:06 pm »

Well it has the thrust with that big prop I am well impressed 8)

will have to look at more of his videos to see what else he does with it

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2010, 9:09 pm »

It is very quiet, I wonder what size engine it has?

Big....

It goes through the reeds impressively.

The prop is inclined to reduce the nose-down effect when the power goes on.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK