Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2010, 4:40 pm »

Thanks Ian, worth a try.

B.

« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2010, 3:52 pm »

Thinking out loud here, there must be an overall governing body that controls the areas we use, could we ask if we could be added to their mailing list for any rules and changes that take place?

Is there such a thing?

It would be nice if there were - it's very old-fashioned, despite the last governments attempt to modernise things. Lots of power in the hands of unaccountable, unelected authorities. This is why we have such discrepancies in the way we are treated. It is possible for authorities to infringe on our rights, because we have not been effective in defending ourselves. We still await the outcome of the DfT investigation at Langstone - the "reason" (excuse?)  for the delay is changed priorities due to the new government, but I can't help wondering if our case is too strong to dismiss, and its just easier to kick it into the long grass. In that case, legal action will be our next step.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2010, 1:05 pm »

Thinking out loud here, there must be an overall governing body that controls the areas we use, could we ask if we could be added to their mailing list for any rules and changes that take place?

Is there such a thing?

It would show great willing to comply with the authorities and keep us a within the bounds of the rules, a win win situation.

Just a thought, probably mean tons of paperwork being issued and get bogged down in it all enough to make you want to hang up your skirts and give up!

B.

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2010, 12:55 pm »

I just think that the close proximity thing is when we cause most complaints so i tend to stay away or stay under the limit. I remember at Blackwater a few years back a dozen hovercraft hugging he bank go thru a 6knot mooring area at 25 knots. I was the only one out on the river so my consciounce was clear for once when they banned us from operating there a few weeks later!

That was the Maldon Harbour 2005 if I remember correctly - a fine example of "how not to do it" and one of the events that set me wondering how it should actually be done... for me, the first step along the way to where we are today.

The main issue was ignorance - few people (ie 'I') understood that there may be regulations let alone what they might be, organisation was nil and chaos ensued. With just a little planning,  communication and minor route changes the event would have passed without comment.

My first craft in 2005 - later passed to Phil in Ireland

The lesson learnt, for me, was "check the local regs and conditions, and make sure everyone knows the route and the plan"

Ian

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2010, 8:30 am »

link to a GPS map of the trip  ;D
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2010, 7:09 am »

I just think that the close proximity thing is when we cause most complaints

thanks for that Russ, quite often things that are obvious to others aren't quite that way to yourself. i have had a look at the gps track and it was 14mph (it doesn't do knots) so point made and taken on board, slower from now on it will be. dont want to put anyones back up!!!!

Russ Pullen

« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2010, 6:00 am »

Over here - blanket rule, 100m from any moored vessel - 6 knots.... try explaing the 'no wash' thing to Robocop on his battleship grey jetski!  ;D

I just think that the close proximity thing is when we cause most complaints so i tend to stay away or stay under the limit. I remember at Blackwater a few years back a dozen hovercraft hugging he bank go thru a 6knot mooring area at 25 knots. I was the only one out on the river so my consciounce was clear for once when they banned us from operating there a few weeks later!

Anyway, spectacular plough - would have been much funnier is you exited front (which happened to me at 49mph on the Rhone....no camera footage tho!  :'( )

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2010, 7:39 pm »

My hover camera selection

I've got one of these new little video cameras, an ATC3K, ATC5K and the olympus mu thingie.

The little one is good, I like the date and time on it, but isnt waterproof and the battery isnt brilliant, I did a test for Brian a while back, cant remember how long I got, pity it cant charge and be used at the same time, possibly opening it up and cutting the data line might allow this?

The ATC3K is fairly good, rugged and goes a fair while, I had it fitted to a helmet for the ironman events, I found it didnt go flat, but turning it on and off, or knowing which state it is in is not east, buttons are fiddly, but is rugged, duracell or lithium batteries were best.... not bad if you turn it on and forget it....

The ATC5K I've only used twice on the hover, the first time in scotland the ring bracket round the camera snapped and luckily it fell into the craft... Last month I mounted it on the duct with a safety line, the result was blurry, too much vibration. It lasted the whole trip out of the bay, the remote and LED allow easy turn on and off, screen not too bad and buttons poor but not used that much.... Will find a better mounting for next time, it is more of a fit and forget camera, one thing I always put new batteries in before a trip, they maintain the clock etc when its off so the batteries will run down.

The Olympus Mu -  cant remember which verson is my favourite, I have it mounter on a g-clamp on the splash cover, probelms are splashes, I need to clean the lens more or I might make a small screen for it. Its rugged and waterproof so no worries. I would like a quick release to use it as a camera when stopped....... Unscrewing it is a pain. Takes fairly good video, my recent movies on youtube were from it. Never run out of battery yet, is charges from usb using a completely non standard cable  :-(   (not water proof when charging and cant be used when charging). My favourite camera option, will try to rig a quick release on it and clean the lens more!

Previously I used a digital camera in a waterproof case, only took photo with it, but although waterproof, fiddly to use left handed (right hand on throttle - oh for a friction throttle).....

F

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2010, 7:17 pm »

To comment on the speed thing, I think we all make judgement calls at the time which from your comfey seat at home do not seem to be such a good decision.

I know I upset the driver of the yellow craft last year at the hovercraft show, I made the decision on good thinking at the time but looking back it was not so good, my apologies to the driver!

I do not think there is a day goes past when I do not reflect on my days actions and regret doing some things, It does not help when you get older!

Always learning......

B.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2010, 7:12 pm »

I paid less than £40 for mine, but i am sceptical of the quality take a look at this thread in Hovertalk

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2010, 7:03 pm »

That looks verymuch like the Oregon Scientific ATC3K. I think Francis has this version?

I have the ATC5K, the blue one but have not used it on the craft yet but do have it fitted in my van!

If you look here they are selling at £100!!! Your link says £37!!!!!! Is this the same camera?

I bought mine from Germany via Amazon.

If it is that cheap I will buy one for the rear of my craft plus one for my head plus one.....

B.

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2010, 6:21 pm »

Bit quick thru the moorings too wasn't it.........?  ::)

I figured that as the water was only 2" deep on the mud flat I was going over, going slow would have caused me more problems than it would have created for other vessels. but if the consensus is i should have gone slower then so be it and next time slow it will be!

just dawned on me Russ are you on about the start of the video or half way through (the bit i am on about above)

the camera is this one ebay link  I am going to start a thread for it in the hovertalk page soon.. click here for new thread
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2010, 7:57 pm by gaz »

Russ Pullen

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2010, 1:27 pm »

Bit quick thru the moorings too wasn't it.........?  ::)

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2010, 12:57 pm »

Nice one Gaz! I agree with Philip, lovely scenery! As for the plough..... great!

I was also going to ask, what camera did you use?

B.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2010, 12:18 pm »

Come on guys - this wasn't a plough in, be fair.

It was a brilliantly devised method of achieving a 360 degree panorama from a fixed camera, and we should all applaud the panache and skill with which it was done.

R