2017 Tamar Summer Cruise Weekend

Pages: [1]   Go Down   Started by gaz. Read 839 times. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Linked Events

• 2017 Tamar Summer Cruise Weekend: Jul 08, 2017 - Jul 09, 2017Please login or register to sign up for this event.

Offline Gaz

• Club Member
  • Cruising around Cornwall
    • My PAT Testing website
The 2017 Tamar Summer Cruise Weekend will be held on the 8th and 9th July. Exploring the tidal reaches of the rivers around Plymouth and weather permitting a little bit of the beautiful west country coast line. You have the option of attending for both or either day, just let me know in the comments. This is a lunchtime low tide weekend so expect mud.

Cruise A) The Tamar: Exploring the River Tamar and tributaries, will include a stop off for the now compulsory pub lunch and just possibly a chance to set foot on Drakes Island.  Launch site will either be Weir Quay or Saltash, numbers as always will dictate the final choice.

Cruise B) The Coast: Weather permitting - explore along the coast around Plymouth.  As this trip is away from the relative safety of the Tamar estuary and as I will not be so familiar with recovery points I advise that this is a trip for reliable proven craft only.

Cruise C) More Rivers: Back on the Tamar or if participants don't mind trailering craft to a different river around 45 miles away the Fal or Exe. 

The coastal cruise will take priority, if the forecast be better on Saturday then Cruise B will be on Saturday and one of the rivers on Sunday and vise versa. If the weather is not suitable for coastal cruising then both days will be river cruising

Camping is avalible but I recommed you book early to secure a pitch,  please contact http://www.comptonpark.co.uk/ and make your own arangements but be sure to mention bringing a Hovercraft so they can give you an apropriate pitch. Be warned that the campsite is 10 miles from the slipway but there is a good pub nearby (my local).
Oct 28, 2016, 1:56 pm
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2016, 5:02 pm by Gaz »
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

Offline Nick Flint

• Club Member
Thinking of the future here guys and have just registered for this, presuming my Otter will be well finished and shaken down by then. As its a fair way down the road for me i will look into some camping sites etc around the River Fal in addition to, the Tamar area, as i did some awsome cruising (as of yore) down The Fal, St Mawes etc, 1987 ish in my Osprey Falcon cruiser, whilst staying in a cottage. I will try to find my steam powered videos and translate them to digital once a moment appears ‼😜
Gaz has mentioned Mylor, which rings a bell so if Gaz or anyone else has any inside knowlege ref launching /camping in motor home then I will chase this up. As ever the main aspect of launch is to NOT upset by noise any locals, and be able to leave the motor home where we launch. That as fas as IM concerned is the main importance.
Perhaps also avoid- RSPB offices or old peoples homes, or MOD beaches encrusted with land mines?

Lets see if we can boost this into a goodie, as i can well recommend the Fal as being heavenly and well stocked with HUGE Gey Mullet languidly relaxing under moored boats, until a harpoon deftly lifted one from the water for the BBQ. It lasted for three days and was superb. Theres something about catching your own food. It WAS a bit of a shock when my plan worked second shot, as I chose one of the smaller fish so as to not end up with too much food! The secret is to NOT aim for the fish but above or below, i cant remember! Its to do with refraction like when you put a stick in the water it appears to bend at the water level.
The cottage owner laughed when i said i would return from the jetty in five mins with a Mullet. As i later sauntered  past his house ( you HAVE to saunter) he conceded i was the first, tho laughed at the harpoon. I looked on this as simply catching my meal, and as such did not in MY mind need to be a sport?

I can also fully recommend Gaz s LOCAL public ale house. THIS Has been fully test driven by myself, and the music and atmosphere was off the scale. The ale was not a problem either as Gaz insisted on driving‼

Reply #1 Jan 06, 2017, 4:25 pm
"Capn" FLINT

Offline joncurtis

• Club Member
Was ir mylor that we laughed from gaz? We just turned up.unloaded and flew off, no one said a thing.
We could ask if we can use the slip in town by the maritime museum, if there is a few of us. A phone call from someone with a suitable Cornish accent may seal a deal.
one of the guys at work has a mooring on the fal I could ask him for advice, or a friendly contact.
Reply #2 Jan 06, 2017, 6:54 pm

Offline rossfloyd

• Club Member
I think the Fal now has a speed limit ?  'Now' being the last 20 years or so since we were last there !
Reply #3 Jan 06, 2017, 10:24 pm

Offline Nick Flint

• Club Member
Carrick roads area, ie seaward end of River Fal did not have a limit, ie it did start as the fal went eastwards from the northern end of Carrick roads, from jaded memory?
Reply #4 Jan 06, 2017, 10:46 pm
"Capn" FLINT

Offline joncurtis

• Club Member
We went there only a few years ago
Reply #5 Jan 07, 2017, 12:02 am

Offline Gaz

• Club Member
  • Cruising around Cornwall
    • My PAT Testing website
It was November 2011 Jon (Thread here) there's a tiny video of the trip near the end of the thread.

As there are several points being raised I will attempt to address them individually;

Speed limits
Yes there are speed limits (aren't there always!) and I believe Jon and I may have unknowingly broken all of them on that trip ???
5 knot speed limit; Percuil River and St. Mawes, St. Just Creek, Mylor Creek and Restronguet Creek.
8 knot speed limit; Penryn River, Falmouth Inner Harbour, north of Turnaware Bar.
10 Knot Speed limit; River Tamar. River Exe
Although I am not endorsing breaking these limits I have found that If you are behaving reasonably (not being a  :-X ) you can add a few knots. I have yet to see a speed camera on the rivers down here (I have seen River Police with one on the Norfolk Broads though)

Was it Mylor?
Yes, it was, and we were well received, but as Jon said we just turned up unloaded and went so no one got chance to moan. From what I remember mylor is a very busy place when the sun is out, the sun wasn't and we were lucky to park nearby.

Fal Camping
I have heard good things about Carnon Downs Caravan Park which is 8 miles from Mylor. Tregunwith Farm is very close to Mylor but I have no personal knowledge of it. As this is Cornwall and the sea is never far away there are bound to be many other choices.

My Local
It's beyond walking distance for me so as I have to drive (and stay sober) being the taxi seemed to make sense.
Reply #6 Jan 07, 2017, 8:47 am
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 8:58 am by Gaz »
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com