Linked Events

• 2017 Tamar Summer Cruise Weekend: Jul 08, 2017 - Jul 09, 2017Please login or register to sign up for this event.

« Reply #53 on: Jul 14, 2017, 8:44 pm »

This is cawsands i think?!
Twas roasting hot so beer was bought in a vain effort to cool us down.
Yes I also wish to give a hearty thankyou to Gaz for doing so much to make it all work, and the ever patient Sue in attendance.
Weather was again Sue blinkin PERB with only one day like------rubbish🌧
Much more soon once im rested----😜
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017, 8:53 pm by Nick Flint »
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #52 on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:56 pm »

The last day of the Summer Tamar Cruise was another brilliant day! Another late finish and have to drive back to the Midlands in the morning and then on to Norfolk to spend time with my Dad who is 87 at the weekend, so no time to write much tonight. Will post more on my return. Photo here is of our morning coffee stop on a tiny bay at Rame Head - idyllic.

Thanks to Dave, Tom and Nick for good times and friendship, to Sue for putting up with us and of course to to Gaz who could not have done more for us - a week to remember for sure...
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 11:06 pm by Kim Taylor »

« Reply #51 on: Jul 12, 2017, 11:40 pm »

This seems a common occurrence in estuaries, A good example is[size=78%] Silverdale at the top of Morecambe bay where there is a small bore, there used to be a warning hooter operated by the Coast Guard when the tide was on its way!! not sure if it is still used. [/size]

Still get a bore on bigger tides here warby, ulverston side of Morecambe bay, not sure about the warning siren at arnside though.

Dave

« Reply #50 on: Jul 12, 2017, 10:53 pm »

I see you've got Scottish weather :) :) :)

« Reply #49 on: Jul 12, 2017, 10:52 pm »

Today has been.........superb! It's late now and we have a really good weather forecast for tomorrow for our last full day here so I will post more in a day or two to do it justice but we have had a wonderful day today - in all respects.

« Reply #48 on: Jul 12, 2017, 10:39 pm »

Probably because you were a fair way up the river at that point, so you get a mini-bore effect with all the tide arriving in a very short time. It's to do with the speed of the wave in shallow water being less than the spped of the wave in deep water, so later (deeper) part of the tide sort of catches up with the earlier parts resulting in the rapid rise. Or in the case of the Severn, in a tidal wave!

Ian
This seems a common occurrence in estuaries, A good example is[size=78%] Silverdale at the top of Morecambe bay where there is a small bore, there used to be a warning hooter operated by the Coast Guard when the tide was on its way!! not sure if it is still used. [/size]

« Reply #47 on: Jul 12, 2017, 6:49 pm »

glad your all having a great time, wish I was there. sounds as though you have really seen some sights  ;) torrential rain everywhere tuesday.
  Unfortunately my task for the week is replacing the rear brakes on the Talbot camper
When i took for it  an mot I spotted, what the Mot tester missed ,got my mot in spite of the leaking rear brake  ::) cylinder!
Now I have to fix it  >:(
Mike B

« Reply #46 on: Jul 12, 2017, 6:38 pm »

Continuing where I left off from landing at low tide to eat pastries, we committed the schoolboy error of misjudging the speed of the rising tide. The level rose from the first photo at low tide to the level to this one in 15 minutes  I've included the picture here in spite of our embarrassment but maybe as a reminder :-\

Probably because you were a fair way up the river at that point, so you get a mini-bore effect with all the tide arriving in a very short time. It's to do with the speed of the wave in shallow water being less than the spped of the wave in deep water, so later (deeper) part of the tide sort of catches up with the earlier parts resulting in the rapid rise. Or in the case of the Severn, in a tidal wave!

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #45 on: Jul 12, 2017, 10:14 am »

Great, enjoyed seeing your pics and account of events Kim (Spud), and 'Amy the Amethyst' by the looks of it too.

« Reply #44 on: Jul 12, 2017, 12:11 am »

Having patted ourselves on the back, we headed back toward Saltash. We had decided to put some "separation" into our arrivals so Nick and Dave went in first whilst I loitered around mid-channel. This is when I was joined by an MoD police RIB ??? :-[ .
There was nothing to worry about. They had seen us operating for the last few days and had lots of questions about the craft as they could do with one for their patrol work - including the usual one about what happens if the engine fails. I switched off the engine to show them that NOTHING happens and we just floated around for a while chatting in the middle of the Tamar under the two big bridges - surreal.....

I made it up the slipway and we adjourned to the campsite for a BBQ. Another great day of hover-memories.

Today (Tuesday) has been somewhat different :( . We have had torrential rain all day and the campsite has been shrouded in cloud all day (see photo) but it is 1000' above sea level after all. The forecast for the next few days looks more promising so here's hoping :-\ :-\

« Reply #43 on: Jul 11, 2017, 11:43 pm »

Two happy hovercrafters sitting on the mud near the River Tavy

« Reply #42 on: Jul 11, 2017, 11:37 pm »

Having crept away with wet legs, we headed off back toward to slipway at Saltash. Having continued a while, we were hailed by a two guys (with a dog) waving frantically (the guys not the dog were waving ::) )  from the mud on a bend in the river. They had been caught out by the rapidly rising tide. We picked them up and ferried them across to the accessible side of the river and dropped them off. This made us feel a little better after our schoolboy error...
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 12:19 am by Kim Taylor »

« Reply #41 on: Jul 11, 2017, 11:24 pm »

Right - managed to resize the pics to post some more.

Continuing where I left off from landing at low tide to eat pastries, we committed the schoolboy error of misjudging the speed of the rising tide. The level rose from the first photo at low tide to the level to this one in 15 minutes  :o [size=78%]This resulted in an unexpected paddle and an even more unexpected view of Nick's boxer shorts[/size] :o :o  I've included the picture here in spite of our embarrassment but maybe as a reminder :-\
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 12:14 am by Kim Taylor »

« Reply #40 on: Jul 11, 2017, 7:10 pm »

Great pics and write up, good to see craft out and those two new Otters seem to behaving well.

« Reply #39 on: Jul 11, 2017, 5:31 pm »

Had a great time Hovering on, and around the Tamar, also the trip  up the coast, a big thanks to Gaz for organising this meet , pity I had to go home today.