« Reply #1304 on: Apr 18, 2015, 9:41 pm »

Today :........

The coastguard had to be called out after 15 people got stuck in mud while taking part in a hi-tech seaside treasure hunt.

A lifeboat, two helicopters, coastguard teams and a fire service hovercraft joined the rescue operation after eyewitnesses reported people in difficulty at Wood Spring Bay in Clevedon, North Somerset.

Two of those stranded were airlifted to shore by the coastguard helicopter, 11 others were able to make their own way back and two decided to remain on scene.

The group been geocaching, which uses a mobile phone signal to hunt for buried treasures.

Roger Reed, senior maritime operations officer for HM Coastguard said: "The report came to us at just after midday today that 15 people were stuck in the mud and needing assistance.

"We have since discovered that they were undertaking the hobby of geocaching. This was in an extremely dangerous place and we would not encourage others to search in these areas because there are complex tidal patterns and deep mud.

"We would encourage all groups who are undertaking activities such as these to contact us with details of their event so that we have all of the information that we need to ensure the safety of those involved."

Two motorcyclists raised the alarm at midday on Saturday after spotting the people stranded in mud.

Clevedon Lifeboat attended, the coastguard helicopter from Portland, a search and rescue helicopter from RAF Chivenor, the Portishead RNLI inshore lifeboat and teams from the Weston-super-Mare and Portishead Coastguard Rescue and the Somerset Fire and Rescue Firefly Hovercraft all attended the scene.

« Reply #1303 on: Apr 18, 2015, 6:17 pm »

My THAT is not cheap--- :o
Or a hovercraft?----
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #1301 on: Apr 17, 2015, 10:11 pm »

The price appears to be flexible from what I've heard. I'd love to see it in operation ... Could be alright as long as you don't mind sitting on top of the lift engine.  Mind it does have "reconditioned" engines wonder what happened to them?
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1300 on: Apr 17, 2015, 10:03 pm »

Plus vat, lol

Kip

« Reply #1299 on: Apr 17, 2015, 9:35 pm »

Kip

« Reply #1298 on: Apr 17, 2015, 4:57 pm »

Touche!
But as we can see, some things are best left alone
kip

« Reply #1297 on: Apr 17, 2015, 3:44 pm »

unless someone tries to reinvent them  ;)

Kip

« Reply #1296 on: Apr 17, 2015, 12:53 pm »

And the wheels on the bus go round and round.
kip

« Reply #1295 on: Apr 17, 2015, 10:56 am »

Well im heading out to fit a new sump on my van Kip as i cant afford to buy a new van , Im one of the small guys in the building trade but that does mean I supply iffy goods or jobs to my customers , If you look after your customers they will keep coming back and using your services again . one hit wonders in the building trade are called cowboys , what are the called in the hovercraft industry ?  being a small company does not give them the right to sell something that has not been properly developed .sorry its just the way i look at the world as i have seen to many people get involved in hovercraft and then go with a bad feeling because the machine they ended up with was flawed .

« Reply #1294 on: Apr 17, 2015, 9:59 am »

...build it and flog it and let the punter find out what the bad bits are

.... sounds like a big US software developer .............. :-X

Kip

« Reply #1293 on: Apr 17, 2015, 8:17 am »

Maybe they are just little guys trying to make a living as best they can.
I know having been there.
Can't stop. Off to polish my Ferrari for my trip to Monaco.
Kip

« Reply #1292 on: Apr 16, 2015, 11:16 pm »

Kip
 Griffon Ian and John are in a different league to the manufacturers of small cruising hovercraft in the uk as they are prepared to do lots of development work before a machine is released for sale to the public unlike most of the people involved making machines here ...build it and flog it and let the punter find out what the bad bits are is the usual from what i have seen over the last 14 years of taking a interest in the sport ..

Kip

« Reply #1291 on: Apr 16, 2015, 6:08 am »

Amazing machine put together by great guys I wish them well.
As for the totally unrelated topic of hovercraft development
 Griffon, Ian, John and others should be ashamed of themselves.

What gives with the negativity???  ???
Kip

« Reply #1290 on: Apr 15, 2015, 11:02 pm »

stuff hovercraft and its lack of development these guys built this in a matter of months  ;) ::)