« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2024, 5:48 pm »

For those the go on the Rhone Raid, Irish cruise or just dare to hover abroad, it's probably essential as a way to prove ownership when going through ports.
I've been questioned by police whilst sitting in the queue waiting for a ferry, asking me if I can prove that the craft attached to the back of my car is mine.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2024, 3:56 pm »

Same here Gaz, I should probably take the number off.
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2024, 7:17 am »

and lasts 5 years. 

I had forgotten that bit, so those numbers on mine? been useless for a good 15 years then!

They do put ownership on a craft and make you look slightly more responsible  :-\
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2024, 10:08 pm »

The rya do a tracker system which may appeal to some, although it's heading towards the big brother thing that we're gradually moving towards anyway.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2024, 12:42 pm »

Yep- agreed on all points.
£35 into the beer fund then  8)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2024, 9:58 am »

I can understand maybe registering a Marlin as there are quite a few of those out there, but in general the hovercraft community is small and the craft are too well known, so if a hover was stolen it would be too hot to handle.  For instance there are 4 Otters, probably only about half a dozen surveyors, a couple of vanguards, a couple of explorers, I know of 3 prospectors, less than a dozen TS3's ect.  You get the point  ;)

With boats, there are thousands of them, so easier to steal and sell on.

If you were using your hovercraft abroad, then that would be another good reason to register it,

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2024, 9:36 am »

Why should you register your boat or craft for leisure use? Registering your vessel with the Small Ships Register provides an inexpensive, simple registration, which proves the boat’s nationality and can help prove ownership.Registration is not compulsory but there are many cases where you may find it beneficial: You can prove your boat’s nationality when sailing outside of UK waters.
[/size]
[/font]
  • Some marinas and ports abroad may require you to prove you are the owner of the boat before allowing you access. Registration is a simple way to prove this.
  • If your vessel is stolen, damaged or goes missing, registration can assist authorities and/or emergency services to trace the owner(s) and get the vessel back to you.
  • Registration may also help with insurance or registering a claim in the event of an incident.
  • How much does it cost to register your boat or craft for private leisure use?  The fee to register a boat on the Small Ships Register is £35.00 and lasts 5 years.  -------------------------------------------NO I think I won't bother, preferring a pub meal and a pint!  ;) 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2024, 9:15 pm »

I have to mimic Al's reply, not sure if any benefit in it.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2024, 3:12 pm »

I registered my first Sevtec Surveyor, but subsequent hovers I haven't  bothered registering them, as I didn't feel there was any benefit for me in doing so.

« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2024, 1:11 pm »

I am not currently registered on this SSR scheme as I fear the disadvantages of this registration - ie immediately "reportable" seem to balance the obvious and advertised advantages of emergency referencing the actual craft dimensions.
What do others think?

My craft is suffering from being left outside, as per photo with 1 foot of rotting leaves and algae taking hold.
Im currently trialing WET and FORGET designed to control the rigours of winter green slime etc and works well on my clear plastic roofs. I shall see if it improves the craft and motorhome?
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2024, 1:36 pm by Nick Flint »