« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:09 pm »

I just wanted to thank everyone for making the Training Day such a huge success, especially Charlie and Karen for the facility, the Trainers Bryan, Jon P, John R, Dan & Steve, Gazza for lending his craft when the Fife Scout craft broke down, all the Trainees for being such a great bunch and making the job easy, Ruth for putting up with me & my hovercraft obsession, and everyone for keeping safety at the top of the agenda all weekend. Here's a few stats:

9 Trainees craft
13 Trainees
6 instructors
5 instructors craft
Several helpers
2 prospective owners (now looking for craft!)
10 PQS1's awarded
3 PQS2's awarded

10 craft completed the short 12 mile novice cruise
6 craft completed the full 35 mile cruise to Morecombe in very challenging conditions

And there were zero accidents, zero near misses and 100% enjoyment!

Cheers
Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2009, 3:23 pm »

Thanks for the pic:

Here is another one taken when we stopped on Morecambe beach promenade:
[ATTACH]3390[/ATTACH]

The weir in Lancaster - about ten seconds after this was taken, the end of the incoming tidal surge arrived and there was a mad scramble to get back into our craft as the water level suddenly rose up onto the gravel banks.  The river level rose by a foot or so in a few seconds and all of the craft were fully floating.
[ATTACH]3391[/ATTACH]
A smoother section in Morecambe bay - the wind and sea conditions could be described as "challenging" at times (so challenging that taking pictures wasn't physically possible).  All of the craft made it out and back with no problems whatsoever - which shows that the "craft proving" exercise the previous day was worth it!
[ATTACH]3393[/ATTACH]

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2009, 9:02 pm »

Now 9 training craft & 12 trainees, 2 prospective owners, 5 trainers craft, and 7 trainers

Any more and we'll be needing some more trainers!

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2009, 9:42 pm »

Hi

All systems go for the training weekend - we've got a healthy 6 trainee craft and about 10 trainees, plus 5 instructors craft. So long as everyone completes the weekend, I should be issuing a record number of PQS1 licenses in one go!

Directions are to be found on the calendar entry. The program will be:

Saturday
9:00 - Trainers briefing in the conference room
9:30 - 10:00 Coffee & place breakfast orders!
10:00 - 11:00 Classroom session - basic theory and safety
11:00 - Breakfast & meet your trainer
11:15 - Craft handling training
13:00 - 14:00 Lunch
14:00 - Handling continues
16:30 - PQS candidates gather in the training room for mugshots!

8-ish - Pub for food and hover-nerding

Sunday
10:30 - Arrive at cruise site, River Lune (directions provided on the day)
Trip 1 - 2.5 miles to the weir
Trip 2 - Downriver to the mouth of the Lune, possible destination Morecambe but depends on the day.

For those that complete the course, the PQS1 will be sent out in the post about a week after.

I'll be there mid-late afternoon on the Friday.

See you all there!
Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK