Linked Events

• Scottish Hoverin 2022: May 27, 2022 - Jun 13, 2022Please login or register to sign up for this event.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2022, 7:03 am »

There seems to be quite a bit of opposition to the meal.
Does the committee think the meal is worth the bad feeling from some of the members?
On one hand, I get it.
On the other, I didn’t think it was that important.
Nick was asking how we can attract new members.
Are we alienating the ones we already have?
If the moderator thinks this post is inflammatory, please take it down.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 8:02 pm »

Hi Guys

More to the point -  My feelings on the subsidised meal at Loch Fyne this year for 19 registered to attend amounts to £370.50 at £19.50 each  from club funds is rather excessive.  I think this money would be better spent on training for new members, for example videos on correct way to fly a hovercraft and safety aspects.  I feel the only people to receive  a subsidised meal should be the Committee members for all the hard work they put into the club throughout the year.   

Tom

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 6:18 pm »

OK guys, we have 16 of us booked into Skippers (TIME TBA) but I know some of you will be wanting Veggie / Vegan meals and as such you will need to contact Skippers directly to organise such---  saying you are part of the Hoverclub party.

Skippers
Tel 01499 302 943
argyllcateringltd@gmail.com

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:11 pm by John Robertson »
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 7:49 pm »

Fair enough Nick, it is a democratic club.

Actually I am still paying my membership subs by standing order to continue supporting the club and am a year in credit too, so please could you arrange to put this years money in the tin on my behalf.

Many tx.

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2022, 10:12 am »

With respect Ross, you are currently being "subsidised" a similar amount as currently membership is free to everyone?
We are -Trying to encourage hovercrafting and attendance, which  is rather what we are supposed to do?
The clubs stated "aims" include promotion of the hovercraft club and hovercrafting in general, all of which this will do
IMHO
If others wish to hold their OWN events, please let us all know.

The Irish event (the only other one ATM)  IS being subsidised in EXACTLY the same way to the same amount.

Please note after discussions over two weeks, I have been sent collection tins for Ukranian Humanitarian Support via the Red Cross.
I will be displaying these banners etc at most times on my craft and especially if we manage to arrange a general HOVERIN on the beach opposite the memorial and green in Inveraray harbour.
The day for this TBA with a weather eye on the -er -weather.
Clearly anyone who feels the urge--- please pop in a bob or two?
It is my belief the Red Cross ONLY has interest in humanitarian relief and does not "take sides"
I mention this as it is all too easy for best intentions to be misinterpreted.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 12:52 pm by Nick Flint »

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2022, 12:45 am »

If all 50 event places are taken, that presumably means nearly £1000 of club money could be spent on 'subsidised' food for those attending.  Regardless of the number of meals actually booked, how will this promote the club or hovercrafting ?

I would prefer to see my membership money given to a charity like the RNLI or a conservation group where it will generate good will, good publicity and have a lasting benefit rather than given away on a free meal for those attending this event. 

How do other members feel about this use of club funds ?

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 8:46 pm »

I'll be up for it!

Might be easier for attendees to edit their registration details (scroll to the top of this page and click the "edit" button) to add detail of when they are attending the event (with numbers please)  AND and whether they are up for the meal?

Skippers current menu is HERE.

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 1:17 pm »

The committee are pleased to inform that This years Loch Fyne Hovercraft event will feature a sponsored celebratory meal on WEDNESDAY evening 1st JUNE-  arranged for everyone to get together and ensure we all have a super time  celebrating our club.
Time TBA

Skippers is  at the campsite and their menus can be accessed via their website on Skippers Argyle Campsite.

The meal will be "subsidised" to the order of £19-50p which will provide every attendee a Starter + Main, OR-  Main + dessert.
This will be paid for out of Club funds to help promote our club and hovercrafting in general.
I have provisionally booked a "certain number of places" BUT it is clearly ESSENTIAL that all attendees MUST let me know ideally within ONE week (18th MAY) so that I can then firm up the numbers to allow the restaurant to prepare for us.
You will also be provided with a special commemorative mug.
Looking forwards to seeing and chatting with everyone.

Please let me know on THIS thread your attending numbers to book in with the restaurant.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2022, 7:52 pm »

We’ll be there too……really looking forward to it.
Be great to see everyone again.

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2022, 7:09 pm »

Hello all, Donna myself and Katie are booked in from Saturday 28th until Friday 3rd. Will be great to see everyone again.

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2022, 9:51 am »

I am pleased to report via Tracy at Argyle's caravan park,  that all facilities will be up and running as normal, (toilets / showers) with added new staff.
I have formally requested good weather.  8)

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2022, 8:47 am »

Hi all. Val and I can only make the first week - events at home mean we need to get back for 4th June :(
So I have booked in at Argyll Park to arrive on Fri 27th May and leaving am Friday 3rd June.
We are both really looking forward to the event, the Loch to and seeing old friends again - it's been far too long for us... 8)

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2022, 1:04 pm »

I have just booked BOTH weeks at the Loch Fyne camping site via their website and then---
I will commute to Loch Etive if decided upon in the light of various.
I NOW have a two week holiday BOOKED, and the only down side I now have is,  I may commute elsewhere OR--- pay a double campsite fees whilst elsewhere?
I needed to make some decision and without full information ref weather and or preferences,,, I accept that there may be some duplication, and this IS a holiday after all.  8)
As usual, you pay for 6 nights and get the 7th night FOC.
Please annotate you are a hovercrafter, then you should be put together with hovercrafters.

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2022, 9:28 pm »

I haven't had the chance to check out the 2nd week sites yet BUT I visited two of them last year. 

North Ledaig is a large open site with beach access and great views - only downside is that it's a tad exposed (prevailing SSW facing), if the weather is windy there won't be much hovering to do!  Plenty of potential locations to visit from Oban to Mull and further.

Invercoe is a much smaller site part way up Loch Leven - quite sheltered meaning that the weather would have to be pretty bad to stop all fun!  Easy access to Fort William, Loch Linnhe, etc.

Both sites seem to have pitch availability at this time.  I'd suggest maybe limiting things this year to 5 nights (6-10th June?) just in case it turns out to have been a bad idea!  Any better ideas, suggestions, disagreements, etc. welcome?

For 1st week Argyll Caravan Park online booking link is HERE
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2022, 12:53 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2022, 5:11 pm »

Argyll Caravan Park are not hiring out accomodation this year and only allowing tourers.