« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2021, 11:57 am »

I boght mine on Amazon. Much cheapness

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2021, 9:54 am »

I've twin 5mm joints on to unf in my steering, it works fine especially if threaded on a reasonable distance and the lock nut is engaged.
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2021, 9:25 am »

I upgraded my small "standard ones" to one mm bigger, and they look double the size! Ive seen a fair number of small standard ones fail completely now.
My upgraded ones fit the same cable ends but there is so much more meat on them and the fasteners well up to the important job of steering the whole craft. Increase in weight is perhaps 20 grams but this is one area that REALLY NEEDS to be well engineered. By THIS I mean that simply being "adequate" for the job is simply NOT good enough when you can increase strength of a vital part for perhaps 20 GRAMS and basically PREVENT this item failing and thus KEEPING craft and occupants out of danger. ONE at each end of cable = 40 grams? Rarely can you achieve such a reliability increase for the weight of a "cadburys roll"
Ive been concerned that OUR steering fittings should be WELL up to the job as without steering you are well stuffed. (THIS part is the size of a thumbnail, but can and will disable a whole craft and does NOT necessarily occur on shore)
..YES--- I know experienced operators can angle some craft to limp home in mild conditions,,,, but NOT (EVER) in challenging conditions.
Ive seen thin rope operated by the passenger,-- (to get back to base) but rope and propellors sometimes make an uneasy mix.  ::)
 I thought  my modifications were  somewhere in my build blog --- KingFisher 2. They dont appear to be there!  ::)
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2021, 9:36 am by Nick Flint »
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2021, 9:15 am »

Cable is UNF - but M5 fits perfectly OK and is what most use (very close to UNF thread).  Rose join is OK but the failure mode in both is more likely to be the stud/bolt than the joint (which won't fail unless contaminated).

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2021, 7:37 am »

John
Thanks for reply.
The thread on my cable end is UNF. I can find metric ones but UNF seem challenging.
I agree that a closed ball joint is cheaper and better protected.
But a rose joint with a penny washer on each side cannot fall apart, even if the ball joint completely fails.
It’s little, and it’s steering in a very aggressive environment.
Just my thoughts.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2021, 7:17 pm »

Hi All
I’m just fitting a new steering cable.
On my old cable I fitted a rose type ball joint on the rudder end. One that I had in my bits and pieces box.
Does any of you know where I can buy stainless rose type ball joints?
Thanks