« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2021, 12:34 pm »

Alloy wheels………mmmmm……..I like alloy wheels.
They would say that on performance cars they are reducing unsprung weight.

Keyless entry….being able to start the car if the fob is anywhere within range.
What sort of an improvement is that?
If the key is in the key hole everyone knows where it is
Also cars with Keyless entry are apparently easier to steal.

Another one……Electronic handbrakes… what can possibly be better with an electronic handbrake.

Handbrake cable, I would expect £20.
Some electronic brake callipers £650 per side.
Big improvement.
Car manufacturers are doing things because they can, not because it’s better……and the public go for it.

Don’t get me going…..grrrr

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2021, 11:43 am »

The old magneto-based ignition systems weren't all that that reliable - occasional mis or partial fires were common due to the low voltage & current from the magneto - the Continental probably ran better on two plugs because on one it wasn't running 100%  Modern ignitions system (usually CDI) will fire a plug with a half inch gap every time.

On manufacturers adding stuff for no functional reason I could find dozens of examples of cr@p fitted to vehicles for purely sales reasons (eg. alloy wheels would be a start?)  ;D   Suzuki say:
Suzuki’s Dual Spark Technology, unique in this class, utilises two spark plugs per cylinder for precision ignition. Combined with the newly adopted high-ignition nickel spark plugs, it contributes to increased combustion efficiency, smoother power delivery, lower fuel consumption and lower emissions.
... which is the usual meaningless & liability-free sales jargon (what's a "high-ignition" plug or "precision ignition"?).

I've got an old Mazda engine with twin plugs - they swapped to a single plug the year after (and also swapped to CDI ignition - not a coincidence I suspect, although it's 50 years old so quite difficult to check  ;) ).

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2021, 11:22 am »

Interesting Face book page
https://www.facebook.com/scrimingerengineering/

Even a HC in there!!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2021, 10:29 am »

My Suzuki Vstrom 650 has two plugs per cylinder, clearly there is an advantage in this particular engine to having the twin plug set up, manufacturers wouldn't waste the resources on something that didn't give improved performance. You could argue about how much of an improvement, that's a different subject.
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2021, 10:21 am »

Can’t see how lighting the fuel with a different plug could make a performance difference.

I had an aircraft some years ago with a Rolls Royce Continental air cooled engine.
It had 2 plugs per cylinder. You could run either system  or both together.
The engine was much smoother with both systems running at once.
Don’t know if it gave more performance or better economy though.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2021, 9:53 am »

Yep - the spark plug sales wars!  All of these designs have been around for 50 years and more - and yet, mainstream plug design hasn't changed (other than longevity) in that time - that should tell you enough.
The video is typical amateur stuff - no attempt made to find another cause (or explanation) for the difference in consumption.  It is an EFI engine making it very easy to check why it used less fuel (was it atmospheric pressure changes, air temperature (both will have changed over a short time) or something else?  Also, these "mature" (i.e 1990's) EFI systems are pretty crude by today's standard - they used simple look up tables for fueling with no interpolation (they "switch" between different fuelling rates) on sometimes very minor changes in sensor readings.
And last, and most importantly of all, no repeatability (the 1st law of any research!).

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2021, 8:11 am »

Project Farm tested spark plugs about a year ago, he did find differences in specific fuel consumption in a briggs type engine. The link is below but very small font for some reason!

Look on YouTube for Project Farm, best spark plug design.

Your link is for plug inserts that claim to alter the spark process.... I'd put my skeptical hat on but keep an open mind 🙂

https://youtu.be/jcVF3xL_fzk

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2021, 8:25 am by Steve Holland »
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2021, 7:34 am »