« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2021, 9:11 pm »

I note on the end of that video that Lara is listed as a Flying Fish, she is a Firefly, definitely not a Flying Fish!
I wonder who owns her now?

« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:26 pm »

I would be happy to act as guide if anyone wants to make up a party to go up to the wrecks and Clevedon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHDQ-7_EOP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JECE8vF4rP0

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2021, 6:11 pm »

There is always Weston once you have a PLS2

Weston is a good hover location. Some great wrecks to visit if the tide is right.  A PLS2 can often be obtained without too much issue for those who have demonstrated competency on the water, start by talking to me! Also needs insurance, which is fairly cheap  via Basic Boat Insurance.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:27 pm »

A bit far for us, especially now we have sold the camper van.  We tend to stay local and as I seem to be the only active hover owner left in the Weston area my cushion hours and minimal, usually just helping out the beach rangers at Weston.  I am beginning to think about selling up but after 40+ years hovering that is a bit of a hard decision and the craft is on the button so a pity to give up all the work put in.

I was thinking about trying to run a Lifeboat charity event as we did a few years ago and do the River Avon but when I suggested it there wasn't much take up.

Would be nice to meet and swap horror stories :-)

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2021, 10:32 pm »

Hi Ross
I’ve been around quite a while now and have never met you.
Do you ever go to the Scottish meets or Liverpool.
It would be good to meet you.

« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2021, 10:17 pm »

There is always Weston once you have a PLS2

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2021, 6:58 pm »

Nope - turn up and play. However you would be advised to buddy up with someone to avoid issues - eg proper equipment and preparation.

The first thing about preparing a craft for use in an environment without immediate rescue (eg safety boat) are float test (think I mentioned that one. A craft was lost at Liverpool, the engine stopped and it simply sank! Fortunately a member was there and rescued the pilot). Next is a good stress test of the engine and transmission. This is at least one hour of running at cruise engine speed with at least 15 minutes flat out. Include 5 minutes spraying the engine directly with a hose pipe - if this seems harsh wait until you're struggling to get it over hump in wind and waves - the spray can be huge and find the weak points in the ignition system right enough! Better to break down during test than 2 miles offshore! When you're ready, and if you want, we can do an online training session and cover these things and more.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2021, 12:18 am »

I know I missed it but do you have to be registered to hover there?

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2021, 5:46 pm »

The last one of the year was last weekend. It was a big turn out and a lot of fun.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2021, 7:05 pm »

There’s an occasional event at Liverpool Yacht Club - usually once or twice a year which might suit. By all accounts a good weekend.

That's on this weekend and there's a massive turnout of Marlins, a Hovpod and an IH3 (so far)

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2021, 8:45 am »

Thanks Ian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2021, 7:57 pm »

There’s an occasional event at Liverpool Yacht Club - usually once or twice a year which might suit. By all accounts a good weekend. Other than that take a look at the launch sites guide and see what there is there. Sadly the Midlands is by definition not very near the sea!!!

If taking the craft out on open water it might be a good idea to do a float test, and check that it will get over hump afterwards. Basically just settle it down in the water and move all round the craft to make sure it is stable and floats. It should have buoyancy built in to make it float even when swamped.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2021, 6:59 am »

Can anyone tell me where I can hover around the midlands, west or north wales please