« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2021, 7:23 pm »

Thanks steve.

All about the memories.

Appreciate the advice.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2021, 10:16 am »

If you plan it well, have the craft well prepped, spares on board etc, look for reasonable weather (there are many decent weather windows throughout the year) and take plenty of fuel it would be a memorable trip. This is one I've spoken about a few times and may do one day also.

Good luck if you go ahead
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2021, 10:38 pm »

Thanks fastd

I am not sure i am up for playing in whirlpools just yet ! The rest sounds amazing fun.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2021, 10:29 pm »

HI, I was going to mention the Crinnan canal. Its a place I have spent a lot off time at. There is a nice harbour at Crinnan with a good launch that is sheltered in all weathers and some sheltered cruising in everything but strong westerlies. There is a beach for camping just by the entrance to the canal and if you head nne from there for a few miles you come across a small whirlpool that is pretty scary n a 150hp speedboat. Just a few miles further along you hit Corryveckan (spelling) The most dangerous whirlpool in the world I am told. We entered it in said speed boat but decided to turn back as is was the wrong state off the tide. Beautiful area with the potential for great cruising in all but strong northerlies. Petrol stations are few and far between in the area.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2021, 10:23 pm »

Thanks john,

I’ll have a read up on the links. Really helpful

Re fuel i have 4 20l jerry cans so if i keep them as topped up as i can that should get me somewhere.

Agree re weather thats why i am not really fussed about the timeframes. If i need to push it a bit and camp longer i will. I spent a month wild camping a couple of years back so i am quite used to the changing weather and to be honest waking up with the views more than made up for it.

I’ll get the maps out again and see what i can come up with, its something i would love to do if i can.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2021, 9:59 pm »

Sea Lochs have a public right of navigation so no permission required.  Fresh water Lochs may or may not require consent/fees/etc. depending on who the owner is.  The Caledonian canal has several freshwater Lochs but all are controlled by Scottish Canals (https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/canals/caledonian-canal/),  Fees are usually payable and safety requirements have to be met.  All canals have low speed limits -  the Caledonian canal will probably take at least 4 days to transit - the Crinan canal is 8 hours min. (9 miles).  However. all that is academic as the likelyhood of getting good weather on open coastal sections is pretty remote - I suspect  you'll spend more time weather-window-waiting than travelling.

And, as you mention fuel, that could also be an issue.  Shoreside fuel stations are very few and far between on the west coast (not a lot better on the east coast either).  You'd need to handle 200miles range to allow for a safety margin (and the occasional forced stopover).

Good luck!

« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2021, 9:23 pm »

Hi All,

Looking for advice if possible ... I want to go from the strand right the way up to Inverness and cut through the lochs and rivers then come back through the west coast back to the strand.  I have put aside 3 or 4 weeks to do it in the coastal pro assuming that I get decent weather to travel most days. I'll be camping as I go.

I am following a route that some canoeists followed. There are a couple of areas that will end up having to sort out a lift/overland but that's ok. has anyone done anything similar ?

Can anyone advise on the Loch situation with hovercraft, Gavin told me that I need to apply in advance as some places as the craft are not welcome.

Any general thoughts would be great.

(Gavin - no need to mention fuel stops )