« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2021, 11:06 pm »

Thanks Ian

I was looking at that last week, there's a lot for me to get my head round at the moment but agree that some small tweaks and changes should make it run a little smoother.

But I guess similar to my old narrow boat, things happen with engines and water. And that's where you guys and the internet come in !

lets see where the fun takes me

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2021, 10:59 pm »

This question comes up frequently. Check out John’s marinising guide

https://hoverclub.org.uk/index.php/topic,465.0.html

This gives lots of good information on how to prepare your craft for a long and trouble free life.  We’ve lived the pain! But a few afternoons spent can pay dividends.

Ian

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2021, 5:06 pm »

Great info really appreciate it.

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2021, 12:21 pm »

Phil,

My craft has failed on many fronts unfortunately, but that doesn’t mean yours will and I really hope it’s a good one!

The main areas that have caused me grief has been exhausts, starter motors and the wiring which in general is extremely poor. Not sure if your thrust exhaust is mounted within the plenum but mine collapsed a number of times. Try and put a cover over your thrust cooling fan, I used a cheap oil pan as spray is sucked in and blown across the engine especially the coils. That cooling fan doesn’t need to be exposed and BHC now cover it; plenty of air is pulled over the engine to cool it. BHC tend to smear their exposed electrical connections in silicone sealant including the starter motor; I’ve found that it just traps the moisture and leads to failure, I use a wax type grease on mine now and have had no more issuers. You’ll find stuff as you use it more and it’s likely I’ve experienced it myself so don’t hesitate to give me a shout, the guys on here have far more experience of course and I can only speak as a CP and Marlin owner. Despite all the nightmares I’ve experienced with the CP, I do still like it and I miss having the flexibility of a lift engine but they are like a double decker bus to fly and the Marlin is a different beast altogether.

I’m near Boston Lincs, my local launch point is a tidal river about 6 miles away which runs into the wash. Great area at low tide but you must aim to get out at high tide as you’ll end up floating there for many hours as I did when I first got the CP 🤪
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2021, 3:02 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2021, 10:34 am »

Thanks for the welcome Nick, sorry to hear about the pain. Lets see what my update is in a few months time !!

Like all new owners happy to go and show anywhere. Where about in south lincs are you ?

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2021, 8:41 am »

Morning Phil,
Congrats on becoming a hovernaught and good luck! The CP will certainly keep you busy, mine has given me hours of heartache, 80% maintenance and repair 😭 and 20% fun 🤩… But I’ve still got it and presently fitting a larger lift engine as I have found the standard 15.5hp to be woefully inadequate. But not all hovercraft are made equal!
If I can help in any way please shout up.
I’m a Hertfordshire hedgehog myself but now live in South Lincolnshire if you fancy a trip up 👍 I’m currently flying a Marlin, 5% maintenance and repair, 95% fun!

Regards
Nick

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2021, 9:52 am »

Phil- ALL this much fun (and more) is available on this forum.
Please be aware that at times, we aren't THIS funny,
but  we aim to warn of this in advance to avoid disappointment.

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2021, 10:56 pm »

Thanks rob, nick.

Nick, i’m new to this but think i’ve spotted the issue.

Rob, i’ll try and be there thanks

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2021, 12:08 pm »

Im currently booked in for this event at Liverpool Sailing Club. Its a great weekend with super bar staff.
Those of you who "know their way around hovercraft" may be able to understand my current difficulty.
Clue- It begins with "eng" and ends with "ine"

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2021, 8:43 am »

Hi Phil - you'd be welcome to the North West anytime too! We are out regularly but have a bigger event coming up 3rd and 4th July. All sorts of different craft will be there and youd be welcome

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2021, 10:50 pm »

Thanks Ian,

I’d love to headover and catch up. Let me look at a few logistix and i’ll message you if thats ok.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2021, 10:37 pm »

Its a fair way to me but you'd be welcome to come over for a day on the Severn. Youll need lifting points and lifting gear as I launch by crane. Im in Gloucester.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2021, 6:45 pm »

Ha ha a couple of pics i’ll post later, i need to actually tow it back and then i’ll get the airbrush on Them  :) .

I am based in herts so a little trek to find decent water other than the thames.
Tried to use a couple of local sailing places for storage but the all declined.
So on my decking it must be for a while.

Understand they are not essential, i just thought they would give me enough of a start to be less dangerous on the water.

Ha ha back in the day when i had a handheld cb i was often asking people about their 20 or candles or some such… must look that up over a gin some time

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2021, 6:34 pm »

Great news. Any pictures?

Yep, those courses though not essential will give you an experienced based on which to build.
PS- we no longer use the reply _"10-4 rubber duck"
I never actually knew what it meant, but sure sounded cool in an American accent.  ;)
Where are you based?

« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2021, 5:58 pm »

So excited, bought a second hand coastal pro today.

Have to say these forums were massive help and an inspiration. cant wait to join you on the next trip.

As I'm new this hobby any hi ts or tips greatly welcomed.

Im doing the radio and powerboat courses for info.