« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 1:59 pm »

Those cans in the link look like a posh version of mine, made in Europe, no issues with them. My version holds 13 litres at a push which is handy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 2:05 pm by Steve Holland »
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 1:22 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 9:58 am »

At the risk of shining alight at something obvious, there are seals in the caps? They've not been left out by mistake?
I checked Stev.
There WAS a ring of soft white material which appeared like a built in seal (or built in non seal?!)
The quality of the plastic moulding around the spout was appalling.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 12:14 am »

Drier climate prob. helps. Rough treatment can take its toll. The rubber ( ? ), seals can fail but, can be replaced. So regular inspections are a must, like all man made things. A properly maintained j/can will, has for me, last & be safe for decades. The Darwin Factor has to be taken into account in all things.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 6:05 pm »

I "retired" my metal jerry cans some years ago due to corrosion (one started to seep a bit!) - maybe in a drier/warmer climate they last longer?  Good quality plastic cans are hard to come by - most are junk and need careful handling especially when full (I had one split in the car once - followed by six months of lingering petrol smell!).

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 4:46 pm »

At the risk of shining alight at something obvious, there are seals in the caps? They've not been left out by mistake?
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 4:26 pm »

Still using my 35+ year old steel jerry cans, original German spouts, not the American design. Used them on many off road adventures & have never leaked a drop. I still have a few in storage & 2 in my shed with mower & quad petrol. I haven't hesitated to use them in boats too. Yes, like all things they must be inspected but, never a problem. No probs. at servos buying fuel. No restrictions. Anyone who says that a well looked after j/can is dangerous is a silly Billy.

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 2:38 pm »

Faulty PETROL/ Fuel cans
Streetwize cans returned to shop after covering me, my clothes, and my car in leaking, (spilling) petrol,
even though BOTH caps were firmly tightened.
I have pointed out to the large shop they have a "duty of care" to their customers to
sell "non fatal type fuel cans".
Their legal team are looking into these matters, as I genuinely believe there should be a recall action to avoid the
"burning ball of customers"
I will revert once they get back to me .
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT