« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 10:23 am »

Yes, I think its going to be with us and our hobby for ever!

Now thats a different view of "Beach Love"....
From here to Eternity?  :-\

Being keen (and seen) to put back, brings us all closer to sharing our environment.
---and we all know that "sharing" concentrates the mind to being careful in the first place.

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 2:45 pm »

Sounds good.  The other reason for picking litter is selfish - it's not very pleasant sitting on a beach covered in junk!
I carry a roll of bin bags and a litter picker in the craft.  The picker avoids direct contact with anything dodgy!  You can get a simple picker for £1-£5 or so (not exactly heavy or durable but better than using your back!) on eBay or at a bargain store.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 9:33 am »

We recently got ourselves (my usual group of hovercraft friends in NW - some Hover Club members, some HCGB, some no club) involved and associated with a charity organisation called the Morecambe Bay Partnership. They get involved in all sorts of projects, but one is the "love my beach" initiative, aimed at keeping beaches litter free. I spoke with them and even had them attend on of our group meetings so we can build stronger ties. My angle was that, when we are out and about on Morecambe Bay, its no problem for us to pick up litter from areas that would either be inaccessible or dangerous for someone (without a hovercraft!) to get to. We have committed to do this each time we are out. Do I really want to be picking up someone else's rubbish whilst i am out - no, but I see this as a very positive way to promote the benefits of hovercrafters and so we can be seen as responsible users of the region and to be seen to be "giving something back". We are also liaising with Morecambe Bay Partnership with their Wildlife Protection Officer, in particular to do with migratory wading birds. Again, if we work together we can do the passtime a lot more good than harm!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2021, 8:50 pm »

Litter in the Severn is mostly old fridges! They float up and down for years because the prevailing wind blows them back up. I have removed old gas bottles etc but so far no fridges!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2021, 7:07 pm »

This is how I usually dispose of it (maybe not great for air pollution but a LOT better than leaving it lying on the shore) - probably not much different to what happens with most "recycled" plastic anyway!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2021, 6:40 pm »

Re Porthmadog and litter
There are usually organized litter picking events on Black Rock Sands, although not sure who organizes

« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2021, 6:23 pm »

Its good to see you FYNE guys clearing up stuff on the shores of Loch Fyne.
I currently undertake such in my village here, and wonder if this concept
could / should be developed, by the club in general,
riding the wave of public nausea over litter especially plastic.
I will approach Porthmadog Council asking them if they are "interested" in this aspect,
as one thing we need to know is WHERE we are allowed to deposit collected litter
without falling foul of draconian council laws.
I once heard of a man being "taken to task" over picking up road litter and placing it in a bin placed outside (which was purely to be used for household rubbish!)
I propose a large bin in the back of my craft perhaps with some snappy logo along the lines of
"Hover-LITTER- Pickers"
Place any picked beach litter in here
I have an especial aversion to plastic BTW
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT