« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2021, 12:55 am »

I think Al's reason for his choice is space or lack thereof. I also have a set of full size templates, which, hang on & take up the back wall of my shed. Just sayin'.  ;) . cheers.

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2021, 9:15 pm »

My vote is hardboard too. Mine are 9 years old and I’ve lost count of the number of skirts we’ve had off them. Sometimes three at time! Half the Clubs Sevs have skirts off my templates - all those who can drive here quicker than making templates that is! They just live up in the workshop rafters when not in use.
And there is a relative of your template In the rafters of my shed :)

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2021, 7:35 pm »

My vote is hardboard too. Mine are 9 years old and I’ve lost count of the number of skirts we’ve had off them. Sometimes three at time! Half the Clubs Sevs have skirts off my templates - all those who can drive here quicker than making templates that is! They just live up in the workshop rafters when not in use.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2021, 7:53 pm »

You obviously like making work for yourself.  Using a hardboard template, a sharp Stanley knife on top of a shiny-side-up hardboard sheet it takes about the same time as it does to draw round it. (i.e less than half the time it'd take to cut with scissors never mind mark it).  My templates also have marker holes in then so I can "join-the-dots" to create the joint overlap and mark the ground contact/outboard lines if needed.  Attached template uses a single image (a rear qrtr section) to make FIVE of the skirt panels just by spacing it apart the correct distance (written in BIG letters on the template!) between end cuts.  Cutting a complete skirt using templates like this is no more than an hour or so of work.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2021, 7:39 pm »

Scissors.  Draw around the template then cut it out.  I've always cut my skirt sections out with scissors

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2021, 7:27 pm »

How do you cut the skirt using a paper template?

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2021, 7:07 pm »

Yes Nick, 2000 grade less than £6 a roll at Toolstation.  Two rolls is ample to make the rear, rear corner, the side, front side cone & side curtain, front curtain, divider skirt templates.  just a matter of drawing around them then, add the 1" where needed to the end of the pattern.  flip them over to make the opposite skirt panel.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2021, 6:53 pm »

Wallpaper lining paper?
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2021, 12:08 pm »

I opted for a different approach, as the hardboard templates would be awkward for me to store flat, so they don't get distorted/damp.

I bought 2000 gram lining paper, as its pretty strong, cheap & disposable/recyclable.  Tape 3 lengths together and plenty wide enough for the width of skirt segments.  I can fold the templates up and store in a plastic bag in my attic.  If they do get damaged, then not much hassle or cost involved in making a new set.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2021, 7:31 pm »

3 sheets

To the wind? Or is that just me?
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2021, 7:00 pm »

3 sheets

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2021, 6:42 pm »

For 14 v 16ft? Yes
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2021, 12:39 pm »

Looks like I will have to make & fit a new skirt for the Vanguard, as no one seems to want to buy it as is, but I will be asking more for it once new skirt is fitted. 

I haven't looked on the drawings yet, but am I right in thinking that the ends of the side, rear & rear corner panels are the same & it's just the distance between both the ends of the skirt panel that are different?

I need to buy some hardboard, so I can make up templates so I can mark out the skirt panels at 45* on the skirt material, so just trying to work out how many sheets of board I need to buy