« Reply #31 on: Apr 11, 2021, 9:54 pm »

My BBV3 has a reinforced edge to the hull - from memory it includes an ali strip but can't be certain. On a training day one of our trainees bent a metal goalpost frame ( you can still see the repairs ) and the craft suffered only cosmetic damage and went up the Severn the next day without repairs!  Bill designed them to take a beating which is why I like BBVs for operation on the Bristol Channel.

« Reply #30 on: Apr 11, 2021, 9:30 pm »

Without knowing what the craft weighs (you can weigh it) or how its constructed I wouldn't put lift points on the outer edges because there is a ready-made tear strip just underneath the hull edge (feed holes).   Find some strong points in the hull (around engine mounts is usually good).   In any case, 4 x 6mm bolts will take 400Kg easy (I use 2 x M6 bolts taking 85% of the weight and another couple (up front) for the last 15%).  U bolts or pad-eyes are better as they have some redundancy compared to a single bolt fixing.

« Reply #29 on: Apr 11, 2021, 9:03 pm »

I can't see that the eye bolts will fail but there is still the issue of ripping out of the hull ![/size] I would fit  spreader plates above and below the threads as there will be a shear force on the mountings unless you use a spreader.  This may all be a bit OTT and BBV craft are built like tanks but without seeing your set up I think it best to be cautious.  One thing I am reasonably confident is that the crane structure will take the load - it was welded up on my garage floor :-)

« Reply #28 on: Apr 10, 2021, 6:33 pm »

Hi Ross, I have been looking at these M10 thread stainless lifting eyes. They have a SWL of 230kg each which I think should be plenty when the eight of the hovercraft is spread around 4 of them. I would use a plate on the back face possibly with an M10 bolt either side securing the plate (with the eye bolted in the middle) to spread the load. I don’t think your solution will work for me as I don’t have a 30mm lip around the hovercraft deck, it’s probably more like 15mm I reckon. 
The eyelet has an internal diameter of 25mm - do you think this diameter will work with the shackles on the crane to lift it into the river?

« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2021, 10:56 pm »

Looks good.  Hope to see you at Uphill sometime - assuming we ever get a chance to go out given the lockdown and weather conditions !

« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2021, 7:58 pm »

From other side

« Reply #25 on: Apr 06, 2021, 7:57 pm »

It now has an engine cover that Rupert from BBV thinks should work ok

« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2021, 7:41 pm »

Hi Ross, this is my ‘beast’. It does have the strip across the rear of the skirt and I think it has the segments you are describing at the rear corners (stitched together rather than open?). It has 2 B&S engines not sure of the power but thrust engine is a V twin. It has been used for cruising before - somebody posted a video of it along with 2 sister ships the other year.

« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2021, 11:09 pm »

Not sure where the photo went but it isn't showing on the previous post as far as I can see !  Trying again !

« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2021, 10:57 pm »

I don't know what BBV model you have or what engine set up,  but mine is a BBV3 with  35/13 Briggs engines.  She was greatly improved with chip bag rear segments and a rear drag sheet under the full width of the cushion.  Hump performance from a standing start is much better with these mods and you need to be absolutely certain you can get over hump from a floating start before doing any trips where you can't get to land without going on cushion.  Don't be fooled by operating on land.  At sea with waves and wind it is an entirely different experience.

Pic was taken a good few years ago off Clevedon in a bit of a chop.  Our old BBV1/F35 with a Rotax/Solo set up.  Much more power than we have today but a fuel burn of 35 lts / hour rather curtailed long distance operation !  But it went like @@@@@@@.

« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2021, 10:39 pm »

Just the craft !  I think the points would lift one person as well,  but they were intended for emergency lifts and maintenance.  I wouldn't like to be the person to test them ! :D :D :o

« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2021, 9:31 pm »

Thanks Ross, this may sound like a daft question! are you lifting just the hovercraft or are you in the craft when it is being lifted in?

« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2021, 10:46 pm »

Here are mine on the BBV3.  Make sure they are well braced underneath and have rounded edges so that ropes don't chafe !

I used 30 x 3 mm strip and 8mm bolts with big 3mm backing plates under the deck as load spreaders.  All 316 stainless.   We regularly lift her on these for hull access.

The ropes were at end of life and were replaced during the winter service! ;)

« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2021, 10:21 pm »

Hi Ian, I have been off line for quite a while during the recent COVID issues, but apart from lifting points I think I am finally ready to go. Is your offer of launching from your place under your watchful eye still on the table. The only thing I would need to do is fir lifting eyes. Do you have any suggestions for the best way to do this on the BBV?  I finally got the skirt sorted out by BBV themselves so it now appears to hover ok (at least on terra firma!).
Kind regards
Neal Wreford

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2021, 7:56 pm »

You will have all the knowledge with those tickets so you just need a craft and to learn how to do the basic handling.  The PLS1/2 is essentially the RYA fast powerboat licence adapted for hovercraft.

You can then operate from Uphill at the Southern end of Weston beach.