« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2021, 1:59 pm »

hi ian, i still haven't  got a hovercraft yet but am interested in psl1 you mentioned, is having a day skipper [sailing] and 10m power boat licence any help ? maybe,when allowed and if you are willing ,i could tag along without hovercraft ? if i ever manage to get one and living in somerset i expect the severn would be my main area of interest,cheers, simon.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2021, 8:04 pm »

Thursday is good for me Ian

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2021, 7:56 pm »

Hi how about Thursday at 7:30?

If anyone else would like to join in let me know.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2021, 8:11 am »

Hi Ian. I can zoom this week but not on 24th.

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2021, 8:06 pm »

I've taken a look at the slipway ai Awre. Needs some attention to use at low tide. I have farmers permission to use it.

I would welcome a zoom meeting to learn more and improve my skill set.

You mean the one by the fish hut?  You’ll be able to launch off that ok. Let me know, I’ll meet you there.

Let’s zoom one evening next week?
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2021, 8:36 pm »

Youe can register for a PLS1 licence here (requires some very basic nav knowledge):
https://hoverclub.org.uk/index.php/page,page2766.html
The basic training stuff is here:
https://hoverclub.org.uk/index.php/page,page1405.html
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2021, 8:58 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2021, 7:18 am »

I've taken a look at the slipway ai Awre. Needs some attention to use at low tide. I have farmers permission to use it.

I would welcome a zoom meeting to learn more and improve my skill set.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2021, 10:09 pm »

Wonders of modern tech !  Tx Ian.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2021, 9:48 pm »

In these days of zoom etc we can get started on the training remotely one evening.

Does your craft have lifting points installed? If yes then we can do the practical part from the Minsterworth Hoverport ( my garden! ) The craft has to be dropped into the river by a crane.

Let me know,  we can set up the classroom session anytime your ready

Ian

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2021, 5:21 pm »

Not a problem.  You will need the PLS2 pilot licence to launch at Weston,  but there is a way to get that .... it is very useful training - I would say potentially lifesaving.

Any thoughts John/Ian ?

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2021, 3:25 pm »

Nice to hear everybody's thoughts on this subject. Being a newbie to hovercraft, finding my feet has been difficult. I would like to take up the offer of spending a day out at weston once lock down restrictions allow.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2021, 10:39 am »

Our dispute with Langstone is the stuff of legends, took years of legal wrangling and although (perhaps on paper) we DID prevail, its essential to remember that areas such as this are a miriade of complex environments, ALL with different but sometimes self serving mutual back up attitudes. Mud flats, RSPB reserves, SSSIs all within yards of your craft. If one stake holder feels "threatened" and nowadays this NO longer requires a threat--- these groups can simply state they "feel" threatened--then "they" have a confidential "chat" and slowly all come to the same conclusion that--- "We prefer to NOT allow hovercraft".
It may theoretically not be "strictly lawful" for them to lay down such absolutes, but in modern life it seems if "AUTHORITY" is claimed  with sufficient strength, (especially if they take on the mantle of "Captain" ), then its usually sensible to launch elsewhere as John suggests!
Its SO easy to operate (a hovercraft) where you can for free, rather than operate where everyone else congregates, because they HAVE to?
Slip ways are nearly always crowded and want paying!
Once you have found a quiet place to park up, and slowly prepare to operate, leaving your trailer connected, returning to an open shore, hover up and have a coffee, then off again,,,, you will learn to celebrate the differences (advantages) of hovercraft ownership.
Similarly some people consider craning their craft onto the trailer--- no just hover it on- its a movable vehicle, (or should be)!
Best to tag along with some of us (as suggested here) and celebrate our differences from the ordinary, rather than waste time persuading closed minds that "we are similar"
Im glad we aren't! ;)
Good luck

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2021, 12:10 am »

If it were me, I'd be looking round the coast for some public right of way (road, car park, etc.) adjacent to the high springs water mark onto tidal (unregulated) water (basically anywhere but a harbour - also includes the tidal sections of rivers) You can then quite legally launch and go (you don't need slipway for a hovercraft!).  The Poole launch fees are more than a bit steep at £15 a pop  :o - I've never paid to launch anywhere!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:59 pm »

I have been trying to find places to launch my Marlin Beast. The latest knock back has come from Poole Harbour. I wanted to launch at a council slipway mainly used by PWC owners. The reply I have got is ......Hovercraft are only permitted with the written consent of the Harbour Master. I’m afraid that he will only, on rare occasion, grant that permission to the RNLI and the Royal Marines, never to private users.
This seems to be a similar story I am coming across.
A quick look indicates that the byelaw quoted is, in fact illegal under the Poole Harbour Revision Order 2012 (the legislation that gives the Harbour board the power to create byelaws.).  The Order specifically includes the Harbour, Docks and Pier Clauses Act 1847section 33 which give the right of navigation to any vessel (subject to payment).
Incorporation of Harbours, Docks, and Piers Clauses Act 1847

3.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), sections 2, 3, 23, 27, 29, 31 to 46, 52, 53, 55 to 59, 61 to 66, 69 to 71 and 73 to 78 of the 1847 Act are incorporated in this Order.  ...
33. Harbour, dock, and pier free to the public on payment of rate.
Upon payment of the rates made payable by this and the special Act, and subject to the
other provisions thereof, the harbour, dock, and pier shall be open to all persons for
the shipping and unshipping of goods, and the embarking and landing of passengers
Take a look at the Langstone thread (and the docs HERE) then challenge the Harbour Authority using the other information there  (I'd also be pretty certain they aren't conforming to Port Marine Safety Code either).  They'll carry on unless someone challenges them!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2021, 10:10 pm »

This sounds like one for John !   

People don't like us because early craft were incredibly noisy and operators upset people by beach buzzing and poor behaviour.  That has changed now but the legacy remains and not everyone is a club member so not up to speed with how to use craft responsibly.

AFAIK you can navigate anywhere on tidal waters, subject to speed limits etc, but not necessarily launch as the slip is private.

Once you have a pilots ticket from the Club you can use Weston as we have an agreement with the Council.   Langstone is supposed to be available but has anyone actually tried it?

If you decide to come to Weston let me know and we can try and go as a pair - the BC isn't a place for a single craft and it can be a bit tricky until you know the coast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2wIW2de-M  and other vids.