« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2021, 10:57 pm »

I use Renia Syntic, it's a PU based PVC contact adhesive. It is solvent based, and properly applied is stronger than the pvc to cloth bond, ie pulls the pvc from the fabric if you RIP the joint apart. The Kayobond looks like a similar glue. A contact adhesive is necessary for making skirts, it needs to grab so that you can move along the joint 

Ian

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2021, 2:40 pm »

Nobody's mentioning the glue used. I would have thought that
has more to do with failures than material colour.
A few years ago I bought some PVC material and glue.
The glue was basically a solvent weld type (I believe it was made
by Bostick ) When I needed some more I went to the same company
but this time they sold me Kayobond PVC. This is a contact adhesive.
Whilst it does the job I need it for it doesn't feel as strong.
Any thoughts on this ?

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2021, 8:59 pm »

I've had the glue joint letting go in hot weather syndrome. The separation can be mitigated to some degree by kicking the skirt under the craft on landing and by letting the engine idle on start up for 20-30 seconds, the skirt temperature drops significantly during the delayed setting off period. Welding the joints is really the way to go when possible.
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2021, 1:20 pm »

Whilst I remain reticent at outright "advice" -(natural shyness precludes such) -My personal experience on this is-

Yes, during very hot midday temperatures, exposed dark skirt joints can get VERY HOT, and come apart. Its only occasional, and provided you re-prepare the surfaces to be re-joined, MY experience has been a lasting repair. Good abrasion with new sand paper is essential.
Granted this could very easily be down to- the ensuing temperatures weren't HOT enough to peel away? Having fried an egg on a car bonnet, it CAN get hot, especially on a dark surface. Its a bit of a beggar to eat afterwards, as one has to be careful to not scratch the bonnet with your knife and fork.

I also replace my frwd wear flaps using a hot air gun, and have never had a patch come off, (wear or Summer heat!) but as mentioned before, Its ESSENTIAL to remove last seasons worn patch, and abrade well afore slapping your shiny new one on. One must avoid like a passing virarse, the build up of layers, which promote forward dig in and subsequent slewing of the craft as each corner alternately catches.

As JR occasionally reminds me----
"Summer Incremental Cool Kicking" (of the skirt) into shade under the craft seems to also help.----  (also known as-SICK) ::)
If one is willing to practice -perhaps in the mirror, or glancing sideways into a nearby shop window-
one can develop (and gradually improve on) the level of "nonchalance" whilst undertaking this?
JRs mastered it.
To Quote Kim Taylor-
"Its a skill, you cant learn it", BUT I would venture to suggest one can gradually improve on the nonchalance required to "look cool".  8)
This reminds me of the words in a 60s song-- "walkin' down the street, concentratin' on truckin' right"
Well that applies here also-
IMHO.
Please remember- the general public (no doubt) look up to us, as we sweep almost silently up some deserted beach, sporting mild tans and jaunty hats. Well worn and salt encrusted apparel also helps to cement an image of "cool".
Being regarded by youngsters as "influencers" (to use modern Blogging parlance) we must hold this esteem with care.
Like most things that appear obvious and untrained--- THIS takes time and most considerable effort to achieve whilst appearing untried and untested.
Trust me- practice on such matters slowly starts to make incremental improvements, and is IMHO is WELL worth the effort.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2021, 5:50 pm »

I've never intentionally taken a joint apart - I've no idea why you would ever need to?  The wear flaps (I don't have any fitted on the PU material) are the only thing that should ever need re-glued (re-gluing is never as strong as the original joint so isn't a great idea unless unavoidable).

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2021, 9:02 am »

You can add an additive to the Glue People's pvc glue which I believe makes the joint more permanent, but I have never used it.  I'm not sure if the additive makes the joint stiffer or not. 

It is good to be able to warm a glue joint and to be able to pull it apart then re-glue it for a number of reasons.  One example is on the front corners of a Sev skirt, I tend to use sacrificial pieces of skirt material to make anti wear flaps.  Easy to replace with a hot air gun/hair dryer.  Not very often the temps in the UK get high enough to cause problems with the skirt joints.   

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2021, 8:30 am »

Chlorosulphonated Polyethylene (CSM), widely known as Hypalon
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2021, 1:07 am »

CSM? thanks

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2021, 12:01 am »

There are a myriad of competing compromises on everything to do with the materials used!  As far as colour is concerned the main compromise (apart from taste!) is UV resistance - lighter colours are much more susceptible to UV damage.  Darker colours will last longer but get slightly hotter in direct sunlight which can affect the adhesive over time (takes a good few years of exposure though).  RIB tubes aren't really a good comparison - they are put together in carefully controlled conditions by highly experienced people - and the prep is very labour intensive (all joints are single or double taped - because CSM leaks!).  If you want permanent joints then weld them (for PVC or PU, CSM isn't weldable).
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2021, 12:07 am by John Robertson »

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2021, 10:19 pm »

Interesting thoughts Ronnie!! Black seems an odd choice, strange that the glue failed in the heat.
I am not familiar with the materials or glues on HC
I have never heard of Rib Tubes coming unstuck Unless they are PVC!!  Most are Hypalon and on Ribs used in Australia with temps of 30+ no problem with glued joints!! 

« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2021, 8:36 pm »

A couple of years ago at the Scottish hover in it was very hot.
I remember Ian repairing his skirt as it had come unstuck due to exposure to extreme heat on black material.
The question is
Why do we use black skirt material?
Is black best?
Would a lighter grey be better?

Just pondering