« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2021, 8:53 am »

Hopefully the Subaru engine wont stay there for too many months  ;)

I'm waiting on a rather large tax rebate to come or find a buyer for the Vanguard, then I can order the hull materials  ;D

Next problem is, where do I build it :-\  but working on that at the moment  :)

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2021, 8:43 am »

What a nice neat shed.....oooooo......I do love a nice neat shed.
Especially with a Subaru engine under the bench.

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2021, 1:47 am »

In Oz we have a saying when we're truly impressed. "Looks like a bought one". It does, I am.   8)

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2021, 6:36 pm »

Green would I do a thing like that  :-X

Next picture shows my latest hovercraft project, "Well part of it"   I'm not going to promise that it wont be green :-\ ;D

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2021, 5:42 pm »

That looks very professional.
Glad you didn’t use up the green paint on it.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2021, 4:59 pm »

That's that little project finished :-)

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2021, 11:28 am »

Hi Al. I think that I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean one of those flat bladder type of exhaust inflated emergency off road jacks. I envisaged a pneumatic floor jack. cheers.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2021, 9:54 am »

Steam powered traction engine?
Is this vehicle your design also?
I bought a power drill screw jack lifter for cars, does one set of wheels at a time to work under or Full hovercraft at 300 Kgs.
Since then ive upgraded to winching the whole caboodle skywards, lowering onto trestles out of 3X3 inch WOOD.
Its great to able to scurry about underneath getting sand and dried mud in my ageing eyes.
It used to be RUST when I was 12 yrs under my £5 Morris ten,
(60 years ago)! ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2021, 10:00 am by Nick Flint »
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2021, 8:35 am »

An air jack isn't any use for my traction engine or motor bikes, which is why I built the lift.  But it could easily be used as a safe way of lifting a hover high enough to be able to get trestles under it allowing easy access underneath.  I looked into buying a lift table, but delivery cost to me were almost as much as this one cost me to build.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2021, 4:45 am »

Put an air jack under it. We used to use them under 4x4's. Very effective tool. Quick & less work. Potentially noisy air-comp. though.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2021, 8:25 pm »

I bought the plans on Ebay for £5.50,  For that price which includes cutting list it's not worth messing around design it from scratch.

MOTORCYCLE SCOOTER MOTORBIKE LIFT BUILDING GUIDE PLANS | eBay

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2021, 8:18 pm »

Is this an Al design or are you using a plan?

« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2021, 8:08 pm »

I've been on annual leave for the past couple of weeks.  We were meant to be spending 10 days in Dorset.

Anyway I've been spending some of my free time making a hydraulic lifting table,  I built it to make my life easier working on my 4" scale traction engine that I'm currently building, the engine will weigh about 250 to 300 kg when finished.  Anyway I can see the table being used to raise up a hover making life a whole lot easier when needing to fit a skirt or working under the craft.

The table will go as low as 220mm & has 3 height settings with the upper limit being 730mm.  The table is made from 5 & 6mm thick steel, so plenty of strength in the table
The pictures are showing the table in construction and only being tack welded.  Since these were taken, the table was stripped back down to component parts, fully welded and painted.  The top will be 18mm hardwood ply.