Linked Events

• Scottish Hoverin 2021: May 27, 2021 - Jun 11, 2021Please login or register to sign up for this event.
« Reply #35 on: Apr 30, 2021, 9:21 am »

Lets hope a "later in the year" adventure could materialise.....
Porthmadog, Mersey, Loch Fyne, Severn, Grimsby----
We promise to leave some fun for you guys once you're able to rejoin us.
Nick n Jane ;)
(Flint)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #34 on: Apr 29, 2021, 8:39 pm »

Sorry to hear that Kim.
Hopefully see you both before next year.

« Reply #33 on: Apr 29, 2021, 8:14 pm »

Sorry to hear that Kim, but family matters have to take priority. 

« Reply #32 on: Apr 29, 2021, 6:01 pm »

Fellow Loch Fyne Hoverers - with a heavy heart I have to say that Val and I will not make it to this year's event :( :(

My 91yr old Dad's mental and physical health has been declining for the last couple of years but has suffered a dramatic downturn within the last few months. As a result, he has asked me to find a care home for him to move into and we are in the process of moving him into a home and preparing his bungalow for sale to pay for his care.
The process will simply not be completed in time for us to get to this year's Scottish Hoverin. We are both terribly disappointed but wish you all a successful, safe and fantastic adventure - we will be there in spirit!
Later in the year, when all this is behind us, we are really looking forward to meeting up with you guys - maybe even in Scotland - for some hover-fun.
In the meantime, I assume that there will be a plentiful supply of Jarl and/or Workbench (as I'm not there to jinx it!) and that the mandatory trips to the brewery, Oyster Catcher and now perhaps Rothesay are duly "lubricated" in the usual manner. Please apologise to the guys at Creggans as their takings of beer sales will be down in my absence :P
Have fun guys - don't forget to post pictures/videos!
All the best,
Kim and Val

« Reply #31 on: Apr 28, 2021, 12:00 pm »

Thanks John.
Ive sent email to Argyle site with fingarse crust, for Friday 28th May ---->Friday 11th June.

« Reply #30 on: Apr 27, 2021, 10:08 pm »

Thanks for your time and effort John.
Karen will book the second week tomorrow.....if it is still possible

« Reply #29 on: Apr 27, 2021, 6:05 pm »

Canoes today at Falls of Lora.

« Reply #28 on: Apr 27, 2021, 6:05 pm »

Finally got to visit these sites (actually only visited one of them - called the others).  The good news is that they are all suitable for hovercraft.  The bad news is that two are almost fully booked for the week starting 5th June (and, actually EVERY week before and after that up until end of August!) and the 3rd (Caolasnacon) is not taking bookings at all - you just turn up and take your chance (going on what's happening, the chance is pretty slim!).    Sadly, it looks like we won't be able to find anything for a 2nd week. 

I visited the North Ledaig site and it looked good.  Slipway was a bit broken up but I'm sure, with the correct tide level, a craft could be launched and left above MHWS.  The site was currently 95% full - on the day after stay-away restrictions were lifted!!!!
Unless anyone has any better ideas, I'd suggest booking the Argyll site for the 2nd week at the moment.  We may be able to organise an away-day or two to the Loch Etive area for this event (although I checked the usual launch site at Taynuilt today and could barely turn the car at the pier due to the 5 campers and one caravan occupying the space!).  Paid launching is available (a last resort!) at Dunstaffnage marina if required!  The other option is to organise a 2nd event later in the year at this location only (hopefully the heat will have gone out of the holiday market by then, and, also hopefully, we won't be in the middle of another lockdown).

Pics show slipway at North Ledaig, a couple of canoes playing in the Falls of Lora and, for Philip, the name of the bay where the  North Ledaig site is!).

« Reply #27 on: Apr 14, 2021, 2:13 pm »

We've booked Friday 28th May for one week and will book second week when we know where to book!.
Please note Argyle caravan site dates are using American system of dates ie Month/date/year!

« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2021, 10:22 am »

It look safe to book for at least the 1st week now.  Contact the Argyll Caravan Park to book a pitch.

For the 2nd week I still haven't been able to check out alternate sites for suitability - travel restrictions should allow me to do so after 26th - I'll report back then. 

It'd be very useful if anyone registered for this event (top of page) could edit their registration comment to indicate whether they are interested in the 2nd week (I'll then have an idea of numbers before approaching sites).

For info the 2nd site list (selected on of shoreside location and boat-friendliness) is currently:
North Ledaig
Caolasnacon
Bunree

... if anyone has any objections to any of them or other options then please let me know.

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2021, 10:41 am by John Robertson »

« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2021, 7:59 pm »

Plan A: I’ll be up for the first week.

Plan B: If plan A is not possible I’ll be found marching up and down Downing  St with a placard.

Ian

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2021, 10:23 am »

Loch Fyne caravan park has confirmed proposed opening time of 17th May 2021, with same covid restrictions as last year.
Its worth noting that there may be interest in spending some time (last week of proposed two week hover cruise?) at LEDAIG to open up the Loch ETIVE area (for those who are interested and have very reliable craft, as recoveries on THAT loch would be problematic!.
Clearly much is STILL in flux, but its good to know that matters are currently progressing reasonably and in the correct direction!
Im sure JR will flag up developments as and when.
On a personal note, provided the weather is "reasonable" I will be in no rush to return home, (tho perhaps on my own the last week?)
Clearly its possible to remain camping at Loch Fyne and "commute" to Loch Etive area for a day or so.

https://northledaigcaravanpark.com

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2021, 2:44 pm »

Thanks John, its good to plan! ;)

« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2021, 9:00 pm »

I've had a look at what's going and and there is some promising progress that would indicate (to me!) that we should be good to go for this event provided nothing goes seriously wrong in the next few weeks.

The govt easing plan up this way is to move to level 3 at end of April with further movement after that.  The area this event is held in will almost certainly be a lower level as it's always had very low disease incidence.  We need to get to level 2 or lower which would allow for tourism travel and campsites to be available to non-locals (but only if they come from the same or lower level area!).  At this level, it'll be the same deal as last year - i.e. outside-only meeting with self-contained camping which is all perfectly do-able.

We won't know what's going on with any certainty until the end of April so I wouldn't book anything just yet (not that you can at the moment!).  Once I'm "released" I'll check out the campsites at inveraray and North Ledaig (for suitability - pretty certain it'll be good) for a second week.  I am very aware that we'll have to move as quickly as we can once we know what's going on as I suspect that domestic tourism demand will rise very rapidly this year!

Page 47 of this doc gives the current roadmap and this page details the revised levels.

« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2021, 1:03 pm »

Ive been trying to ascertain the Scot Gov proposals to Loch Fyne Camp site opening etc.
There are many blind alleys over un updated web sites declaring July opening (when they MEAN 2020!)

Many differing dates are gleaned from differing areas, with some strange anomalies occasionally.
One ive just seen regarding a ban on anyone ELSE being allowed on your pitch, which at this moment precludes a BBQ for all as usually happens when possible.
Clearly only time will tell but wonder if and or when "they" plan to allow bookings etc.
One area allows bookings from April onwards, but fails to say does that mean STAYING will be possible- because I think it may mean "Future bookings" will be possible from April but possibly doesnt say when actual STAYING is to be allowed!
Perhaps its me?
It usually is.
 ::)