Linked Events

• Scottish Hoverin 2021: May 27, 2021 - Jun 11, 2021Please login or register to sign up for this event.

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2021, 12:38 pm »

Very Jealous.

Have a great time, I'll be there on the next one.

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2021, 7:40 pm »

It looks like good weather for the next two for cruising on Loch Fyne .  8) 8)

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2021, 7:04 pm »

Final LFT tests neggetivo so looks like we're on stream for some "fun"
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2021, 1:29 pm »

"Rest and be Grateful", ::)  looks presently "open" to my eyes, but its been a smidge damp as of late, so Fingers Crust......

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2021, 12:35 pm »

At the risk of boring the experienced, i enclose the usual thoughts----

ADVISORY CHECK LIST PRIOR TO ATTENDING CRUISING EVENTS.
This list is not exhaustive and YOU (as the operator) have sole responsibility to adjust this list so best to fit your personal situation. No order of importance is implied.
1 Third Party Insurance (to cover the public) Please note YOU may be the only driver covered.
2 Assess your present or proposed craft for cruising in open water /sea.
a) FOUR stroke engine (s)
b) Suitable free board (height above water when floating)
c) Suitable hover height (height above waves on hover)
d) More floatation than total all up weight including all who will be carried
3 ENGINE (s) MUST be FULLY MARINISED. Follow the guides on this club site.
4 ALL ELECTRICS to be Marinised. Glued Heat Shrink connections, and PU sealants, Never Silicone Sealants on electrics.
5 Fuel filters / water traps.
6 Good and charged Battery (ies)
7 Check Engine RPM using tacho to ensure operation is within correct values, to avoid over revving/ over stressing engine AND or the fan. Blades to be set up to absorb this power.
8 Spare Blades
9 Spare Fingers and skirt ties.
10 Working and charged VHF and mobile phones.
11 Buoyancy aids  / life jackets checked and in date for ALL occupants.
12 In Date Flares (could be considered optional for close to shore and with company?)
13 WEATHER! Must be personally taken into account, bearing in mind your craft, personal ability/ experience. YOU are solely responsible whether, when and how you operate, and or return to base.
14 When registering for this event, please pay special attention to the disclaimers and accepting the FACT that only YOU are finally responsible for your attendance, craft, decisions and behaviour.

« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2021, 11:52 am »

Enclosed is an aide memoire born of the "occasional memory lapse" down the craft bung being forgotten.
This little change in my routine SHOULD prevent that "sinking feeling"
Problem is that you still need to remember to tie it to the steering wheel!  The ideal solution  (memory not required) is a one-way valve, but despite years of occasional looking, I've not found anything suitably shallow yet.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2021, 9:42 pm »

Just done our tests......both negative

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2021, 9:11 pm »

First batch of lateral flow tests today show we are both negative.  :D

Likewise! NHS instructions were at Haynes standard, detailed instructions except where to place the drops! John will be pleased to know that the required info was on the Scottish NHS site 😉
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2021, 6:41 pm »

Darn test makes me sneeze violently every time  :-X , I now involuntarily clear my sinuses twice a week for peace of mind re; Mr C19.
One of the care homes I visited recently took great delight in telling me if you don't sneeze you aint doing it right  :o
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2021, 4:45 pm »

Not many things in life its better to be negative rather than positive, but the C19 test is definitely one of them ;-)

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2021, 3:18 pm »

First batch of lateral flow tests today show we are both negative.  :D
Will do the other two tests before we set off for Loch Fyne.

You are RIGHT John, in that we owe it to
1 Ourselves,
2 Other club members
3 and everyone else we meet on our upcoming holiday.

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2021, 6:23 pm »

Thanks for all of that John. Will do.
Its a shame the promised good weather around next Friday has evaporated (in 24 earth hours.)
 HOW rubbish are these weather guesses.
They are PAID for forecasts.
They then issue Forecasts.
and it turns out it was a VERY expensive GUE$$.
NO OTHER branch of science has millions spent on it - to then deliver - Well nothing actually.
WHAT is the point because they are SO OFTEN 100% WRONG.
I can guess (at zero cost to the public.)
Enclosed is an aide memoire born of the "occasional memory lapse" down the craft bung being forgotten.
This little change in my routine SHOULD prevent that "sinking feeling"

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2021, 6:42 pm »

Just a reminder to order your lateral flow test  from HERE if you haven't already done so. Once you receive them (there are 7 in the pack) do a test on Monday or Tuesday (depending on when you are leaving) and a second test on the day of departure please.

Currently, Argyll is in level 2 as expected - rules are:
At Level 2:
   you can meet socially in groups of up to:
  • 4 adults from 2 households in your home or theirs – and can stay overnight
  • 6 adults from 3 households in an indoor public place like a café, pub or restaurant
  • 8 adults from 8 households outdoors.
  • you can travel anywhere in Scotland in Levels 0, 1 or 2 but must not enter a Level 3 or 4 area unless you have a permitted reason like going to work or caring for a vulnerable person.[/l]
The last point currently  applies to Glasgow which is likely to remain in level 3 until end of next week at least.  Almost all of us will have to pass through Glasgow to get to Argyll - technically, you shouldn't stop there!

Weather looks like its picking up a bit by the end of the week - can't get much worse mind you!
[/list]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 6:48 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2021, 8:16 pm »

Lets hope the weather improves in the next week!  It managed double figure temps last week (almost had to take my wooly hat of on a couple of days!).

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2021, 10:52 am »

No - the ploy is to blame shift before the **** hits the fan.  When/if it does, it will the the "fault" of people who haven't been vaccinated (around 74% of the population - wide open to a huge spike again) rather than anything to do with lax border controls!  One has to ask why vaccine uptake is being so heavily "encouraged" when infections rates have been very low - i think the answer is obvious!

FYI vaccine uptake is almost identical in all areas of the UK - once again we see blame shifting onto ethnic groups who were told it was OK to travel to and from India when it clearly wasn't.

If the test/trace system fails again (or is overcome) then I can't see anything other than a 3rd wave in the next month or so.  You can already see exponential growth in some areas - with re-opening and no travel restrictions it's probably already endemic in most of the UK.Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll get their act together and stamp out the current outbreaks.