« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2024, 11:32 pm »

New battery fitted so I decided to go take a look at the floods. For the first time ever, I slipped in directly without using the crane - the river is up 4m!

The plan was to head up to the weir at Maisemore but that wasn’t going to happen as I couldn’t get under the railway bridge at Over.

The river has burst its banks and it’s possible to hover out into the fields - do that had to be done, of course!

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2024, 1:53 pm »

Those car batteries are reasonably cheap. For me the cost difference is only about £10 so not worth considering the wet batteries, also the pounding through the floor of my craft can't be good for a wet plated accumulator. It's academic for me anyway as I have to fit an AGM due to the slantiness of the batteries location!
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2024, 9:20 am »

I tend to favour car batteries (smallest/lightest I've found is an 054-056 profiles - has small round terminals) - they seem pretty durable and have enough spare capacity that they could run the engine for 2 or 3 hours should the generator fail (i.e enough to get back to base).  I'm only on the 2nd battery so far!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=car+battery+054&_sacat=0&_sop=15

... not as cheap as a bike battery but lower price than AGM!
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2024, 9:26 am by John Robertson »

« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2024, 8:57 am »

Spare Lithium jumper battery the size of a fag packet?
WHAT could possibly go wrong?
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2024, 11:48 pm »

I think you're probably right about AGM batteries,  I have used them in the past and they do better. But the price! 3 to 5 times more expensive always makes me wince so the Hankook lawnmower battery it is (£20!), and replace as often as needed. This one just caught me out by going without warning .

I am from  YORKSHIRE after all!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2024, 8:54 pm »

Glad you got out, shame about the battery issue. Chatting with John the other night I commented that the agm versions of lead acid batteries appear to last longer,the first set I had in the vanguard are now in the Westwood garden tractor at 15 years old.
Looking at articles online, agm batteries sulphate less than free acid wet batteries.... downside is expense....you may already have an agm, ignore everything I just said.
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2024, 5:49 pm »

Not the view you really want to see when out for a new year cruise! The plan was to head up to the weir at Maisemore, go over it as it will be drowned in the swollen river and go do some sightseeing in the floods upriver. Not to be, sadly.

I was up to Gloucester, approaching Lower Parting when I noticed the strong smell of petrol. As I’d been working on the tanks I wondered if I’d left something loose, so I pulled it onto Alney Island to check.

The problem wasn’t the tanks - they were all good. It was the fuel filter / water separator that was leaking profusely! This was replaced last year as the old one had rusted through, and new one was leaking from an O ring. Cleaning and tightening the joint fixed it and tried to restart. Not happening! The battery chose this moment to collapse! No sign of distress from the battery recently but it had gone.

Bugger!

Nothing for it but to call Nathan and hope he was around - which he was, and an hour later he turned up with a mahoosive battery and some jump leads. I did feel a bit guilty- he had to drag it a mile over fields from the nearest road. But not too guilty- he did owe me a rescue after a famous incident with his boat!

Anyway, engine started and I headed back, leaving Nathan to drag the battery all the way back to his van 😂. Like I said not too guilty!

Batteries seem to get a hard life on my craft - I only seem to get 2-3 years from them. I probably should replace every second year as a matter of course, but normally you can tell when they’re getting tired before they collapse.

So I never did get to see the floods but a least the cobwebs did get blown out!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2020, 10:20 pm »

Ruth and I took a trip down the river today. Lovely conditions for a trip and a little fossil hunting  :-X

Not sure what happened, maybe it's the 'new normal' but there were so many 'firsts' on our trip down the river:

I've never seen anyone rod fishing - but I saw one today, first in years. Then another further down the river!

I rarely see any other traffic on the river and I've never seen a jet ski - saw one of those too! Then a few miles further up the river we saw another one - this time coming down the river towards us and clearly wondering which side he should pass us on. Fortunately he took a cue from my clear turn to starboard and passed without incident.

The river channel is always moving around, but obviously there is always a channel. Not today! At The Noose the river just sort of flattened out to a wide thin sheet of water. Good job said jet skis weren't following me!

I've never seen a hovercraft on the river (that wasnt "us") but we did today! To be fair, it was on the bank but not a thing I've ever seen before. Looked like a BBV.

And the final first - Ruth's first hat retrieval  ???

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2020, 12:42 am »

Hi

Its a good thought. We used to do more from Berkeley, launching just over the river from you. Bryan White lives there and is usually keen to get out, you shoukd try PMing him. I havent been on the water for s month now due to the constant storms and tbe huge amount of fresh coming down tbe river. Hoping it will calm down a bit soon!

Bryan and I used to run a hover-in  from Berkeley each September, but it hasnt run for a few years now. We should think about doing it again.

In any event Ill let you know next time im coming down your way. It likely to br dhort notice though, i usually take advantage of  frcent spells of weather when they arrive.

Maybe wr should have a Severn area WhatsApp group?/

Ian.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2020, 11:18 pm »

Or you could do it the old fashioned way and push some water about ......  perfect conditions on Friday but a bit chilly for hovercrafting ....

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2020, 11:12 pm »

Great idea but launch sites are a bit difficult to find on the Severn unless your craft is fairly low weight and can be craned in.  However there is always Uphill which is where we launch.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2020, 7:46 pm »

I'm a newbie to hover crafting and just wondering, if its not already in operation or been tried, that a Severn cruising meeting on a regular basis can be arranged. I have noticed that there are a few people with craft from Avonmouth up to Gloucester and the neighbouring counties.