Linked Events

• Scottish Hoverin 2020: Aug 27, 2020 - Sep 12, 2020Please login or register to sign up for this event.

« Reply #47 on: Aug 21, 2020, 7:55 pm »

Hopefully no one will be brave/silly enough to take the full body Midgie challenge  ???

I for one ain't that brave  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyjdiFyePSI

« Reply #46 on: Aug 21, 2020, 10:18 am »

Clearly fill craft, and fuel tanks (and remember to take them with you) will be the order of the day.

ME-- FORGET?
The only thing I've forgotten to do is CREATE a tick list so my poor memory is less obvious.
It may be good to have my life jackets also - rather than the back up ones in the M/H----
Now wheres my biro-----

::)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #45 on: Aug 20, 2020, 7:51 pm »

A week to go!

The road is likely to remain closed from what I can see (I took the attached pic on Sunday - shows the latest slide which covered both roads and ended up in the stream/burn at the bottom of the valley!).  They are working on fixing the main road foundation - part of which was wiped out by the slide.  At best, if opened, it'll be one-way lights.  2nd best is the old road (as seen on pic) which has a 45min to 1 hour convoy delay  - it may also be closed if weather conditions get bad (as has happened already this week).

Other points:

1. Covid rules are slightly different in Scotland - you can find up to date info HERE. Note that 2m distancing is still required for outdoor gatherings (and only meeting up to four other "families" per day).  This is a rural area with a largely elderly population so behaviour in shops, etc. is quite strict (for good reason).

2.  The Londis filling station in Inveraray has been closed - fuel is ONLY available from Semples Renault garage - and ONLY Monday to Friday (and shuts at 5PM)! 

3. Fuel is available at Lochgilphead but the Tesco station seems to be trying to enforce the 5l/10l can thing which is a bit awkward (I'd recommend carrying a 5l plastic can just in case!).

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2020, 8:32 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #44 on: Aug 12, 2020, 4:24 pm »

Can we ask for updates ref The Rest N B Thankful opening please.
Ive just checked and it simply says closed (still).
Im hoping last nights deluges countrywide haven't added to the issues.  ::)

This is the latest update I can find:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53733823

« Reply #43 on: Aug 12, 2020, 9:28 am »

Can we ask for updates ref The Rest N B Thankful opening please.
Ive just checked and it simply says closed (still).
Im hoping last nights deluges countrywide haven't added to the issues.  ::)

« Reply #42 on: Aug 08, 2020, 5:56 pm »

It's the big detour I'm afraid ("only" 60 miles!).  It was a major slip which has also wiped out the old road and, even worse, taken part of the downhill side of the slope which may have compromised the road foundations.  Could well be several weeks before  it re-opens!

No problem - extended tour of Scotland always welcome ;)

« Reply #41 on: Aug 08, 2020, 10:20 am »

« Reply #40 on: Aug 07, 2020, 8:53 am »

It's the big detour I'm afraid ("only" 60 miles!).  It was a major slip which has also wiped out the old road and, even worse, taken part of the downhill side of the slope which may have compromised the road foundations.  Could well be several weeks before  it re-opens!
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2020, 11:31 am by John Robertson »

« Reply #39 on: Aug 06, 2020, 6:44 pm »

Thanks for the heads-up Mike - much appreciated - hope it gets (and stays!!) fixed for our arrival...

John - do you happen to know if they are still using the 'convoy system" on the old military road when the main road is totally closed due to landslips or do we "enjoy" the grand detour still? :-\

« Reply #38 on: Aug 05, 2020, 9:41 pm »

To those travelling up from the south
slight problem on "Rest and be Thankful" again!landslip, Road blocked let's hope its cleared by the end of the month.no doubt there will be traffic lights as usual 
Mike B

« Reply #37 on: Jul 30, 2020, 11:34 am »

Good, we'll be there, in the usual auto sleepers. (red carnations optional)

« Reply #36 on: Jul 29, 2020, 4:11 pm »

That's us booked on campsite Aug 31 & Sept 1st  :)   Hopefully see a few of you there

« Reply #35 on: Jul 28, 2020, 10:25 pm »

I got through to the campsite today, but they said they have space for when we plan on coming down, but wouldn't take my details or payment.  They asked me to email my details and they would get back to me in a day or two to take payment.  Hopefully Becky & I will be there Mon 31st & Tues 1st.  We're booked in at Arisaig from the 2nd 

« Reply #34 on: Jul 27, 2020, 4:10 pm »

Got a reply at last and we've paid up! Looking forward to it 8)

« Reply #33 on: Jul 27, 2020, 9:46 am »

We are hoping to arrive on Thursday and stay for 2 weeks.
We will probably be a bit smelly by the end, as the shower in the camper is a bit ( a lot ) weaker than a domestic one.
But due to social distancing, it perhaps won’t be too offensive.
Looking forward to seeing you all there

See the source image