Linked Events

• Scottish Hoverin 2020: Aug 27, 2020 - Sep 12, 2020Please login or register to sign up for this event.

« Reply #62 on: Aug 24, 2020, 10:16 pm »

I did enjoy having hundreds of people waving at me)

So is that why she is called the Waverly  :D

« Reply #61 on: Aug 24, 2020, 10:11 pm »

Last time I saw Waverley I nearly capsized her!

She was taking on passengers at Lydney on the Severn and I passed by close to her starboard side, of course all the passengers rushed over to that side to see the hovercraft go past ! Followed by a distinct list to starboard.

(Perhaps a slight exaggeration! But I did enjoy having hundreds of people waving at me)
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #60 on: Aug 24, 2020, 7:39 pm »

It's all at different heights - see definition of "tide"  ;)

« Reply #59 on: Aug 24, 2020, 6:36 pm »

"This Wednesday and next Wednesday afternoons on lower Loch Fyne."~~~~
Surely all of Loch Fyne is ALL at the same height, or am I just being silly?  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2020, 6:45 pm by John Robertson »
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #58 on: Aug 24, 2020, 1:00 pm »

"someone said he had gone out the front door :(   not good knowing how busy that road is.  So I go out the front calling for him, but no sign of him"

You had me worried there, Al. Glad he's OK. ???

« Reply #57 on: Aug 24, 2020, 12:08 pm »

Thats good i was trying to find details yesterday ...
https://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Waverley-Scottish-Timetable-Aug-21_Sept-6-V3-1.pdf

This Wednesday and next Wednesday afternoons on lower Loch Fyne.

« Reply #56 on: Aug 24, 2020, 11:47 am »

Reilly our yellow Lab caused chaos in the green welly a few years ago  :-[   It was a hot day, so I let the dogs out of the van and was letting them swim in the burn that runs alongside of the welly's car park.  Becky & Bran had gone into the green welly to buy some drinks & ice cream etc.  Next thing Reilly spotted a coach load of tourist getting off the coach and heading into the green welly.  Reilly loves two things above all else, food & people, as the people usually have food  ;D .  So Reilly decides he had better check out where all the people were going.  So soaking wet from swimming in the burn he dashes off towards the rear entrance of the green welly and of coarse his ears had stopped working as he cant multi task "listen and see at the same time" :-\   So I put the other dogs in the van and headed off to find Reilly.  I met Becky as she was coming out of the shop, but she hadn't seen him.  So I head on into the shop following the wet patches, and of coarse they went into the food hall  :-[   still couldn't find him, so asked a few people and eventually someone said he had gone out the front door :(   not good knowing how busy that road is.  So I go out the front calling for him, but no sign of him, so I head around the side of the building towards the rear carpark and there he was making a nuisance of himself with some tourist.  Reilly hasn't been back since  :D

« Reply #55 on: Aug 24, 2020, 10:29 am »

Thats good i was trying to find details yesterday was hopping to see it I travelled on a Paddle steamer I believe in 1959 Llandudno to puffin island I remember dad taking me to see the engines all shiny .was also when  I saw the first mini displayed along with its predecessor the Austin seven  also the year SR N1 first flew  dads showed me the newspaper pictures! !959 a year that made an impression on my life ! I was only 6 :)

Mike B

« Reply #54 on: Aug 24, 2020, 9:55 am »

On another note.
The paddle steamer Waverley is operating in Loch Fyne on the two Wednesdays.
That would be something to see.
Good photo opportunity I hope.

« Reply #53 on: Aug 24, 2020, 9:14 am »

Agreed Al,Think I'm going for the 60mile alternative route with a possible short rest stop at the green Welly !! :)

Mike B

« Reply #52 on: Aug 23, 2020, 4:56 pm »

... we need to look at this link on the morning of and prior to our departures?.
I wouldn't bother as it's likely to change before you get there anyway - just drive to Tarbert (the Loch Lomond one!) and follow whatever the diversion is signed (or not as the case may be!).  There is no alternative route available (not strictly true as you could go via Stirling and the Trossachs - very scenic but a godawful road in places when busy (as it would be).

« Reply #51 on: Aug 23, 2020, 4:38 pm »

The detour is actually "only" 25 miles extra (around 25 mins allegedly!).  Problem is that good parts of it are on dodgy B roads and everyone else will be going the same way (there is no alternative route to anything south and west of Oban)!  Personally I'd avoid the detour or the convoy system during day time - and definitely avoid on the Friday!  Probably best early morning or evening if possible.

« Reply #50 on: Aug 23, 2020, 3:23 pm »

Latest from BBC news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53881602

Personally I would avoid the area and take the 60 mile detour.  You know you want to  :-X

« Reply #49 on: Aug 23, 2020, 2:04 pm »

No doubt John, you are keeping "a weather eye open" on this old party pooper---  "lie back and be grateful" but the road update appears to illustrate-  "present problems" and as such presume we need to look at this link on the morning of and prior to our departures?.

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #48 on: Aug 22, 2020, 8:13 pm »

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2020, 8:19 pm by John Robertson »