« Reply #36 on: Jun 02, 2020, 5:51 am »

John
Thanks for your thoughts
I’ll put some button head screws down the sides of the deck.
The spikes on the tail board are dome nuts that hold the lights on, so not sharp at all.
The raised deck supports, I’ll chamfer them some more.

« Reply #35 on: Jun 01, 2020, 6:39 pm »

Couple of other minor potential issues are the bolt heads along on the deck sides (will cause fretting skirt wear during transit) and the spiky looking things on top of the tailgate (potential skirt rip catch points).  Anything that the skirt ground contact line slides over should be a smooth as possible to avoid damage.   The raised deck support things could probably do with some more aggressive tapering on the rear edges (if you ever needed an unpowered recovery it might be tricky pulling the craft up onto them).

« Reply #34 on: Jun 01, 2020, 9:57 am »

I'll get some pics later, it's designed for easy on off ,

« Reply #33 on: Jun 01, 2020, 9:45 am »

I made some tubes to slide over the uprights.
Glad you spotted the deliberate mistake...haha.

Kermit is wider than a standard Surveyor, the trailer is just short of 8ft wide.
We live up a long lane with a challenging entrance onto the road.
Being low at the back, much scraping was heard.
I did weld some skids under the rear corners for this problem.....they were needed.

Phillip
Making the sides lock at an angle would be a good thing to do....I’ll think about how to do that.

« Reply #32 on: Jun 01, 2020, 12:37 am »

.  loading on a side slope or a puff of wind at the wrong moment could push the craft over the short rods - landing on them then ends up with a crunchy noise as they pierce the hull!
Never happens :) ;) .

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2020, 9:53 pm »

Looks good - quite a few "familiar" features  ;)
Only minor issue is that I'd recommend lengthening the vertical guide rods to be slightly above the height of the craft outer edge when it's on full hover..  loading on a side slope or a puff of wind at the wrong moment could push the craft over the short rods - landing on them then ends up with a crunchy noise as they pierce the hull!

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2020, 9:05 pm »

Looks good, could you keep the sides up a little to keep the craft central when loading on a side slope? I did it to my trailer and it made things easier.

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2020, 7:41 pm »

Loading was relatively easy
Electric winch works very well.
And seems to tow nicely.
The only thing is I reckon it is heavy, haven’t had it weighed, but I think it is.
Quite happy though.

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2020, 7:37 pm »

The trailer is at last done.
Everything seems to work okay.
Loaded Kermit today and went for road test.

« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2019, 9:18 pm »

They do look clean at first

« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2019, 8:47 pm »

That looks really clean :)

« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2019, 3:07 pm »

Caravan chassis trailer is slowly taking shape.
Slowly, because if it’s been a nice day, I’ve done nice things.
Not that building the trailer isn’t enjoyable but that can be done on rainy days.
Anyway a couple of pics.

« Reply #24 on: Jul 24, 2019, 7:58 am »

Phillip
Trailer looks good.

The aluminium sides.
I’ve seen that corrugated ally before but can’t think where.
What is it?

Cheers
Ronnie
It's sometimes used as a protection strip on the walls of insulated truck trailers, just happened to have some around. ;) .

« Reply #23 on: Jul 24, 2019, 7:09 am »

Phillip
Trailer looks good.

The aluminium sides.
I’ve seen that corrugated ally before but can’t think where.
What is it?

Cheers
Ronnie

« Reply #22 on: Jul 24, 2019, 12:07 am »

Hi Philip, how do you unload when in a level car park possibly surrounded by cars? I have been given an old 18" un-tilting tandem boat tailer & have been wondering how to proceed.  thanks.
I just start up the lift and push it off,