Linked Events

• Scottish Hoverin 2018: May 25, 2018 - Jun 07, 2018Please login or register to sign up for this event.

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 9:55 pm »

I hope the tractor started easily!!! ;)

New spark plug ... Worked wonders! Leaps into life now !!!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 9:15 pm »

I hope the tractor started easily!!! ;)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 7:48 pm »

Sabrina made the trip over the flood bank (assisted by the lawn  mower!) today and is on the trailer ready for the journey north  :D
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 6:15 pm »

Cottage looks very inviting in the sunshine.

I hope you can keep the weather good.

Looking forward to meeting everyone

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 4:01 pm »

Last couple of standing stones - 1st one is the easiest, 2nd one involved an altercation with a grumpy wummin who wanted to call the police, etc, (I said go ahead- I'm sure they will be more than happy to explain how access law works!).  I'll update the stone list later!

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 3:58 pm »

Some encouragement?

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 11:39 am »

That is the pic of now.
Kermit is just about usable but having trim type things done.
We will be there with a usable but unfinished craft.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 10:03 am »

Oh Gosh, is there an issue here, or just time shrinkage?  :'(

I trust you will be there Ron,--- think of the wit and repartees to come---- 8)

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 9:56 am »

Nick loaded up and ready to go.........
Ronnie........oh dear

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 9:32 am »

Hmmm Decisions - Decisions  ::)

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 8:31 am »

I shall be taking my drone again to Loch Fyne and some other meetings, so if you want to feature on the Website back grounds or perhaps strut your stuff for a special edition extravaganza, then ------
Be THERE!    8)

Candid reportage will be engaged in to capture magical moments around the camp fires that John is ALREADY collecting drift wood for.
I propose to include all craft, pilots and passengers who join us in an effort to get plenty of variety into the mix.
---I always do--- but some are back at camp changing plugs or engines etc! ;)

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 9:59 am »

I must be doing something wrong then  ;)

Never been washed down and only treated (CorrosionX?) once.  I don't understand the wash-down/retreat thing at all - if the "treatment" works then why does it need washed off and re-applied (and, if it doesn't work then why apply it at all - the engine isn't going to dissolve during a 2 hour cruise!)?  Ali block engines do not need treatment at all (ali forms a corrosion-resistant oxide layer - if you keep washing it off then you are just removing more and more of the ali).  Dry salt crystals aren't corrosive so can be left (mixing them with water turns them into a corrosive liquid - washing does exactly that and then pushes the liquid into all the unrinsable cavities and seals on the engine).  Small pressed metal steel bits are the worst for corrosion but inhibitors do seem to work at reducing the rate (you'll never completely prevent it - just slow it down enough to extend the service life to something realistic (i.e. if it lasts for ten years of continuous salt-water use then that's good enough for me).  Bolts, shafts and fixings can usually be replaced by stainless versions and frames galvanised (or stainless).

I used to do the "wash down after every use" thing years ago until I realised it was actually making the problem worse (and learned to ignore minor cosmetic corrosion on pressed steel bits!).  A thorough coating of a corrosion inhibitor on a bone-dry engine and NO subsequent washing works for me (and is much less work & cost!).

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 6:58 pm »

...and this is what happens if you don't desalt and protect your engine ..... low hours and a complete write off.  So badly corroded that the mounting bolts sheared off in the crankcase .......  plugs seized and drive pulley joined forces with the crankshaft.  Tinwork like lace. I've tipped diesel over it and left  to soak for a few months ( years ? ) but it is only good for a few spares.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 6:37 pm »

OK guys, here is my rose spray being used to rinse salt encrustation from my Briggs and Stratton following the Severn Sojourn.
After this "Corrosion X" was sprayed onto the dried engine. Pipe insulation was wrapped over the V belts to protect from over spray, -
ideally----- Remove this foam before starting up the engine     :-\

New plugs were ordered and fitted, ready for The Great Scottish Hover which starts in 16 DAYS------
As a contingent from the camping area, as ever its essential to look over, order and fit stuff like oil filters, belts, blades, plugs, and check out the batteries and fingers which lie so dutifully waiting for your Winter to end!

A Scottish camp site is historically a poor place to strip down/mend or order parts from!!!!
Better to chill out AND fly from----------- rather than dismantle.
I know!    :-[

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 6:33 pm »

John, you,ve let yourself go a bit----- ;)