« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2010, 9:15 pm »

That would be nice Atters, The more the merrier  ;D . I think a Northern cruise could be on the cards sometime. With luck Trev will resurrect the Osprey 5 in the months ahead so we can see it in it's natural habitat.......the West coast of Scotland !!!!!!!

Steve
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

atters

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2010, 1:17 pm »

and lets hope that next time you go, there will be 2 16" Surveyors. :-\

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2010, 1:09 am »

Nice write up Steve

I should have been up in that area on holiday for the last 2 weeks
You just cant beat the highland west coast for the scenery and wildlife :)

« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2010, 10:21 pm »

We took a trip up to Lochcarron last weekend. It was to be a sight seeing and partially hovercraft oriented trip. We left on Saturday morning around 11am and after a leisurely 4 hours arrived at our B&B in the picturesque Lochcarron around 3pm. I called Al to arrange a time to meet up and was very pleased when I was told that he was going out on the loch at about 6 o’clock that evening. It seemed like no time at all after settling in to the B&B and having a wander about the busy village that we were standing in front of a partially unloaded Sevtec Surveyor named Taimah May. Al and Becky had already started the unloading so I gave them a hand to finish the job which meant pushing the craft off backwards and getting her turned, both of which was quick and easy.
I borrowed a fetching life jacket from Al, stuck my earplugs in, got the camera out and we were ready to roll. With the tide in we were on the water in seconds and throbbing our way up the loch towards Strathcarron. I say throbbing as the silencers on Taimah May are very much from the Harley Davidson school of silencing!!!! There was a bit of chop on the water and a slight breeze from behind, we sat around the 20 knot mark with Al waving and giving his neat sounding horns a quick blast as he passed one of the pubs near the shore, it was waves all round as everybody waved back!!!! There is a lot of space on this 16’ version of the Surveyor. I did some wandering around and checking the GPS as I did so. The craft stayed around the same speed where ever I placed myself. We turned across the top of the loch and then around heading approximately South West in to the wind. This slowed us to around 16 knots in the increasing chop. Al then gave me the helm as we travelled down along the opposite side from Lochcarron parallel with the railway line and its avalanche proof tunnel. I tried some turns and front cushion brake manoeuvres and found Al’s craft turns well and is very stable.     I handed back the controls of the Surveyor as we neared the Lochcarron side of the shore where Al did a ‘fly past’ to allow Dawn to take some photos.
As we passed the sailing club next door Al spotted the local doctor who got the big wave and two tone horn greeting which was reciprocated with smiles. We made a quick clockwise turn and landed back at the launch site to reload the Surveyor on its trailer and have a chat about the trip.   
The Surveyor build quality is excellent; this looks like a professionally built craft such is the finish and attention to detail. The epoxy paint finish on the hull is smooth and all the steel work has been galvanised. With neat protected electrics and the use of marine fittings held on with stainless fasteners this hovercraft will be around and looking good for a long time. The present high front set up is for standing only but this will be changed during the winter to allow sitting or standing. Al plans to cut down and re profile the front deck to achieve this. He has already worked out how it can be done with the least amount of work. Al also plans to fit an up rated exhaust system with full silencing which will transform this already excellent hovercraft. After seeing the build quality of this craft I’m sure these mods will be done to Al’s very high standard, what can I say; Al can build me a craft anytime!!!
The rest of the weekend through to Monday was spent travelling around this beautiful part of Scotland.

We visited Plockton, Kyle of Lochalsh, part of the island of Skye and finally Applecross which is stunningly beautiful and has a fantastic inn complete with pipers, at least on the night we were there they did!!!

I would recommend without hesitation this area for hovercraft cruising. There are many sheltered inlets and harbours to visit and the views are breathtaking and unforgettable. Will I be taking the Vanguard up the next trip? I’m sure you know the answer to that.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2010, 4:14 pm by John Robertson »
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!