« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2017, 6:23 pm »

Severn Surveyor was clocked at 60 + mph on Brean Beach about 15 years ago ..... before I owned her I would add !!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2017, 6:16 pm »

A fantastic achievement I grant but it looks like it was not officially recognised by Guinness World Records;
The highest speed achieved on land by a hovercraft is 56.25 mph by John Alford (USA) at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA on 21 Sep 1998.

Source;
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/fastest-speed-on-land-for-a-hovercraft

Bob Windt is still down as holding the 'wet' record
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 6:25 pm by Gaz »
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2017, 5:11 pm »

Francois  Malan - Fantastic achievement - Determined and brave and inspiring - He should get some sort of permanent acknowledgement of his impressive achievement somewhere some how?

« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2017, 9:06 pm »

Congratulations to Francois, that's a huge achievement. Maybe I'll have a go when I retire, someone has to crack the ton! Pendine sands here I come!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2017, 8:33 pm »

A lot of time and effort went into that record. Well done.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2017, 8:15 pm »

Francois Malan contacted me a couple of days ago and has kindly supplied his account of this speed run and its history.

Hoverbat

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 11:07 am »

I would suggest that as with all speed record runs the configuration of the craft is a million miles from an everyday use one. The skirt may be permanently inflated and use no air from the craft at all. The material it is made from may also be fairly exotic. A permanently inflated to a high pressure skirt would solve a lot of the trim issues?

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 6:31 pm »

A load of good questiones! Here's my best shot at answers ...

Direct drive or pulleys: Some sort of reduction drive will almost certainly be needed for a prop that size.

Why are the bags not deformed? There looks to be some folding back of the bow skirt - right at the tip of the craft. But the general answer is that its a high-pressure bag, which tend not to deform. This is in contrast to the Sev low-pressure bags that are designed to deform, with the subsequent geometry change providing the roll stability.

How is the nose kept down? I presume that the elevator is used. In general, all hovercraft suffer substantial changes in pitch moment as the craft speeds up. This is caused by the thrust (pitch down) and aerodynamic forces on the hull (pitch up) as well as other sources. For the craft to avoid plough-in or trying to take-off, these forces must be balanced somehow. The elevator is one way - it is affective when the power is on, ie ideal for a speed run. Weight shift is another way - perhaps inconvenient though. Another way is the partitioned skirt, which is designed to automatically adjust the centre of pressure to compensate for changes in pitch - this is the best way in my opinion, as it works with or without thrust applied.

Will the skirt abrade? I also wondered that - that is perhaps one of the biggest challenges in this endeavour. At that speed, any contact of the skirt with the ground will heat up the material very quickly and could potentially cause very rapid failure. I presume that the craft has excellent lift and is trimmed very well to avoid ground contact.

Ian

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 9:45 am »

That is some man and machine, almost 90 mph (looks like a UH ) and Looks so stable. I wonder if it's direct drive or belts and pulleys, why do the bags not deformed and how does he keep the nose down also the surface would appear very abrasive to  the bags at that speed?  Any ideas anybody ?The film car seems to have been left behind. A magnificent effort on his part and a very brave attempt.

gavinparson

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 10:54 am »

Blimey, haven't heard of Francois Malan for years. Glad he's still active.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 9:21 am »

Copied from the YouTube page;
April 7 2016 , Francois Malan set a new land speed record for light hovercraft (under 300kg) of 142.5km/h or 88.55mph, on Verneukpan , Northern Cape, South Africa. Craft powered by a VW 2.0 l 16v engine.
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

Kip

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 8:36 am »

And the speed was ??????? Where, what craft, driven by who, etc ????
Kip

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 9:51 pm »