Open Forums > General

Guages etc

(1/2) > >>

gavinparson:
Assuming you mean "gauges"  :)  I used VDO marine range gauges on my last big craft.
Fuel gauge, water temperature and tachometer are enough. That's all you usually have in a car.
Perhaps one of those funky GPS speedos if you want to be indulgent but if you're fitting a plotter then it's not essential as the plotter will show your speed anyway.

implanecrazy:
I dont want to use the car dash as it will spoil the look of the setup and will make it look home made which is what I am trying to avoid.  At the end of the day this explorer will be worth in the region of £15,000 to £20,000 and it will be a shame to spoil the overall look of it for the sake of a couple hundred quid.

studlyone:
I don't have an extra switch for the beacon and nav lights, they are just live when the ignition is on - simples.

John Robertson:
Just use the car dash - connections/sensors are already there for everything you could need - replace the speedo with a GPS and job done!  Switch the beacon and nav lights on the same circuit (you don't need a separate beacon switch as the beacon use is optional at other times). 
Engine/coolant temp could just be a couple of lights (as fitted to some cars nowadays - blue means it's cold so no thrashing, red means it's hot so stop - none means all OK)

studlyone:
Collant temp gauge and if you are using an EJ20 or another modern ECU controlled engine you will need a check engine light, this is used to indicate problems and also fault diagnosis as you can get it to flash falt codes that you can read.

The EJ20 ECU also has two outputs to drive electric fans on the radiator (fans aren't needed obviously) that are temperature controlled (coming on in stationary traffic or extremely hot weather) you can use these two outputs to drive two extra warning lights to indicate engine hot and engine overheating. Giving you an indication of an overhating fault before the engine goes into a chernobyl style meltdown.

Ive also got oil temp and oil pressure guages but that's cause I like gadgets LOL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version