« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2012, 10:43 am »

I was averaging 22mph with a max of 38mph on bits of the return journey with a little wind assistance (on about a third throttle) !
Russ..

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2012, 7:50 pm »

Not too bad Russ, I only have about 24hp so your mpg per HP is better. In saying that our mpg's will be all over the place due to varying conditions etc.

I should add my average speed would have been around 18mph which seems low but we stop a lot to look at things, drink tea etc. My top speed on two occasions was 33mph which, if it were achievable as a cruise speed for my craft would be nice apart from the fuel burn rate  ;D .
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2012, 7:06 pm »

I reckon my TS3, with a total of 100hp, last time out (Trent Cruise) was doing around 8mpg but that was into a good headwind with three people on board. I also need to tweak the skirt a bit as that's not as efficient as it could be.  ???
Russ..

Kip

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2012, 6:35 pm »

Thats why I sold mine.

Kip  ( without the smilies, John )

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2012, 5:26 pm »

Beneteux Barracuda, 8 metre. 37 GALLONS per hour at 40mph
ONE mile per Gallon
Works out at about £235 PER HOUR ???  (huh) Looks wonderfull but wow what a running cost PLUS GTs Beers etc
Cost £106,000 (ish) depending on spec. (boat not the drink) Clearly not comparable with us BUT what a comparison! 8)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

nessie

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2012, 2:30 pm »

[quote 28ft boat with Two 4 stroke 200 BHPs outboards using £175 PER HOUR fuel total.

Boat @ say a thousand pounds a foot + fittings + two Yamaha lf200’s @ ten thousand each, who cares about fuel consumption………..

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2012, 1:02 pm »

Hovercrat win on the fuel efficiency front. There was motor cruiser on loch Fyne estimated to be doing around 40mph, the wake was large and propably the amount of fuel used too but it did look amazing.

Mpg is not really the best way to do our fuel as it varies so much but is fun to do :) , I plan to do another litres per hour test at full throttle sometime soon.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2012, 2:46 pm by Steve Holland »

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2012, 10:53 pm »

Gosh Steve all this pleasure, "it just aint right" I am really looking forward to doing the mpg calcs on Kingfisher which will NOT be as good as yours as I am sporting 80BHP total but still believe it will kick into touch virtually any boat out there. In my current boat mag there is a 28ft boat with Two 4 stroke 200 BHPs outboards using £175 PER HOUR fuel total. Looks lovely but the fun is hard won isnt it. gnf
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2012, 7:58 pm »

Just a few stats from my loch Fyne experience.

Approximately 231 miles covered

Fuel consumption this trip averaged 16mpg

The flexi pipe to the silencer cracked through at the silencer (4 years old), fixed with jubilee clip supplied by JR. The drive belt needed adjusting once. Topped oil up just to keep it on the maximum.

Did the usual checking bits to see if they were loose etc but everything was fine, the new voltage regulator has fixed the charging nicely. The new stainless exhaust manifold still looks like a new stainless exhaust manifold  :) .

Best trip was to Tarbert and back along with Gordon in his immaculate Eagle 4 closely followed by the Loch Awe trip which was very closely followed in pleasantness by a trip to the brewery with Ian and Nathan where we sat out in their new courtyard in Midge free sunshine with a pint of cold beer placed on their amusingly less than level table  :) . We returned beer cases in hand and hovered back the 14 miles or so in near perfect conditions.

Looking forward to the next hover trip