« Reply #45 on: Jun 14, 2012, 10:14 pm »

http://www.briggsbits.co.uk/

are you saying gavin that a bike or car engine might be better than the brand new, never gona let you down briggs engine you have?

changing your tune by the sound of it! :)

speak to the guy above and he will post you a startermotor.

gavinparson

« Reply #44 on: Jun 14, 2012, 10:04 pm »

Still no sign of a solution on the horizon for this. Anyone know of a helpful and knowledgable Briggs parts stockists?
I would have had this fixed in 24 hours if it was a bike or car engine. I've been away for 8 days and no solution has been offered in that time. Not good  >:(

studlyone

« Reply #43 on: Jun 11, 2012, 3:27 pm »

A comfort light is a good idea - belt and braces. Yes the Subaru ECU controls the starter solenoid so it does shut it off after the engine fires up. It won't stop a seized pinion from remeaining engaged but it does eliminate common wiring and switch faults from the equation.

« Reply #42 on: Jun 11, 2012, 3:12 pm »

AFAIK its a NipponDenso ND starter on those Briggs. ND usually make pretty good stuff so my first things to check would be the wiring and the push switch. The current required by the solenoid can be enough to damage or "weld" the contacts together.  A "comfort" light while it would work should be unnecessary.
BTW the BMW ecu along with several others (Subaru?) disconnect the starter switch circuit once the engine reaches a certain RPM.

My Briggs does sometimes smell weird and goes a strange colour but I wouldn't eat it.  :) Also like cheese it doesn't respond to verbal abuse :) .

gavinparson

« Reply #41 on: Jun 11, 2012, 10:35 am »

Who?

Personally I may fit a light that indicates if power is still on to the solenoid. I can't find any evidence that the starter switch is sticking. A light would be a good check for the future though.

« Reply #40 on: Jun 11, 2012, 7:17 am »

me thinks Mr parsons will carry a spare from now on! should ensure he never actually needs it  ::)
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #39 on: Jun 10, 2012, 10:37 pm »

My starter did the same thing after the momentary start switch decided to stick on. With the engine running it can't be heard blew mine to pieces.

Any machine regardless of how well maintained has a chance of failing, all we can do is improve the odds and plan for the things that are most likely and can be repaired or worked around in the field. A pull start would be useful if it could be made to work... although pulling a big V twin over sounds like a challenge!!

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #38 on: Jun 10, 2012, 11:30 am »

Briggs motors aren't soft cheese, if they were they would go green and smell bad after a while !!!!

There are no proper marine hover engines we just have to make the best and prepare the ones we have to the very best we can. A salt laden environment takes no prisoners whatever engine fitted as we all know. Sharing tips and advice on engine prep is the way forward including what doesn't work as well as what does, (at least relatively speaking).

A fresh water rinse and spray lube after your cruise helps a lot too.
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #37 on: Jun 08, 2012, 11:07 pm »

Styer diesels are already fitted to Mars hovercraft, AFAIK they are developing an  electric drive system to use with those new engines, I think the twin is running 30kw. BTW the hybrid one has no starter motor. :)

gavinparson

« Reply #36 on: Jun 08, 2012, 4:58 pm »

The fact is, NO engine is designed for hovercraft. Perhaps we should be speaking to Mercury, Evinrude and co as I'm sure they wouldn't baulk at the idea of their engines being used in a marine environment.

The 36hp marine diesel being launched by Steyrmotor next year is interesting. Shame it's not 50hp. Flat twin. Nice for a low C of G install.

« Reply #35 on: Jun 08, 2012, 12:10 pm »

Briggs engines ........ soft cheese. Still it sounds like the starter switch was at fault. It must have failed to disengage and the starter destroyed itself. It can not be blamed on poor maintenance.
As Ivan has said these engines are not designed for hovercraft. Salt spray and moisture things are going to stop working.

gavinparson

« Reply #34 on: Jun 07, 2012, 5:36 am »

No, the engine works fine, as I've already said, this is just an ancilliary part. It takes about 2 minutes to fit a replacement.

fastflow

« Reply #33 on: Jun 06, 2012, 11:18 pm »

Er, I think Kip would disagree. Big craft- new engines.....  Otherwise, buy a cheap old crap engine and trade it in for a recon.
I think it's fair to say "you get what you pay for".

i do think comment came back to bite you in the ass thou

fastflow

« Reply #32 on: Jun 06, 2012, 11:00 pm »

I feel for u
some people spend all their time doing maintained and get parts fail and others do nothing and it all works fine for years (sods law) I am not saying u shouldn't do mataince but if a part is going to fail it's going to fail there's a dozen factors that can cause this right down to poor production (pro or hobbest made) of the material used to make the component.
And it's the down time missing the sunny days that sucks the most
I would very disappointed in B and S if they don't honour the warranty (its not like u are using it for another propose than it was intended) and would be considering a different using lump if they don't

gavinparson

« Reply #31 on: Jun 05, 2012, 8:10 pm »

No, my usage time far outweighs tinkering time. Maintenance is proportionate. Years of continuous improvement have got me to that point.