« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2010, 3:33 pm »

Quote from: wanderer;66169
I see where you are going now .. but its just a large jump from radio control to 10ft monster in the garden lol .. also I dont have a garage at present so building area is confined to my shed
The main project is for the kids 6-8years and for me to et my head round the whole thing
Its not that much difference from scale models but it's the balancing etc

No problem... just wanted to make sure that your expectations will be met by reality :)

As to water... yes it will go on water provided you don't slow to below "hump" speed (which is probably just under the top speed!).  Once below hump speed the craft will slow to probably 2-3mph (and generate a lot of spray) - you will be also be unable to get it back over hump speed again and be reduced to a few mph back to land.  I would strongly recommend buying plans of some kind - at least you will then know exactly what to expect from the craft when you finish it!

Concrete/tarmac/dry sand will destroy a bag skirt in a very short time (maybe only an hour or two) so you will be reduced to operating on very short grass or mud.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2010, 1:36 pm »

Quote from: wanderer;66153
What plan would you suggest for for time builder that would be small enough to store and easy enough to build which would be suitable for kids to ride and alos adult main usage would be concrete grass would be nice.

It depends what you mean by "small enough to store".  GRP hovercraft can quite easily be stored outdoors just like a boat.

One of the reasons why bigger is always better is that larger footprint craft have a lower cushion pressure AND lower cushion air losses.  This means you can use a smaller engine (less fuel!) AND have a more capable craft.

Grass (unless bowling green smooth), like pebbles, can actually be a pretty difficult surface for hovercraft because of the high drag and cushion air loss.  I would be surprised if the UH6F works well on grass at all.

You will quickly get bored sliding around a car park or concrete apron and all of the time and money put into building the craft will end up wasted - which is why we are trying to persuade you to make something a bit bigger that will be a true multi-use hovercraft :).

My personal choice ('cos I built one :)) for a first timer would be a Sevtec Scout - it's a very capable small craft that is easy to build (flat panel construction) and has excellent rough water performance (check here).  The 10x5.5ft version will carry two medium build adults or one heavy adult in all sorts of conditions.  You should maybe also consider it's slightly bigger brother, the Vanguard (14x7ft)- it could be built for around £50 more than a Scout and will carry three adults.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:43 pm »

Welcome!

The plans are only available from UH direct AFAIK.

I would encourage you to raise your sights a bit higher than a UH6F - you will get far more satisfaction building and operating a larger craft (the cost and build time isn't significantly greater).

The UH6F is really just a demonstrator - it barely works with a small child on board never mind an adult (see
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=1053635).  It won't plane out on water - if you stop your will have to crawl back to shore enclosed in a bubble of spray.  It won't operate on anything other than perfectly smooth and flat land surfaces - it's not much different to a RC model!
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013, 1:41 pm by John Robertson »