« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:56 pm »

Is the welded pipe and stud part of the original bike setup Brian, if so that would tell me that the bike was on its last legs when the engine was salvaged, this sort of repair is usually only done to something of low value.If this is the case the engine may well benefit from a strip down and rebuild and this would also boost your confidence in its reliability in the future.

Trev

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:19 pm »

What a bodge
         Well that’s one way to put it Brian only a desperate man or an idiot would weld the headers to the studs!:mad:

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2010, 9:35 am »

Quote from: Brian G. Reynolds;66364
I have now started the engine on the floor out from the craft. I changed all the spark plugs and it ran like a pig, but not on cylinders 2 and 3 so I changed the coil I had delivered yesterday (Ebay special) and the engine runs sweet again!

So the question, or two....

Am I right in assuming the coil is indeed dead and if so should I just bin it of can it be fixed?

I have changed both coils but did I need to do this? are they handed in some way, they both look the same to me?

Thanks all,

B.

Probably sensible to invest in a whole spare set of electronics and put them in a sealed box in the craft "in case of sonic attack". I keep a spare coil in in mine.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:39 am »

Brian,

I'm sure the BMW experts will be along shortly but it might be worth swapping the coils (and connections) to see if the problem IS actually the coil (it could be the wiring rather than the coil ).