« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2009, 2:29 pm »

Quote from: davylah;64796
Is it a legal requirement to have my 'Eagle' inspected and certified, or is this just if I want to compete?

There are no general legal requirements for light hovercraft (they are classed as "vessels" so you need to be aware of the normal boating "rules").  Within the club, if you want to race you will need to get your craft scrutineered and registered.  For cruising, safety inspections may be needed to attend some events.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2009, 12:44 pm »

Hello,

Good to hear there is another hovercrafter on the go. Please think carefully about using your craft on the beach as this in most cases seems to upset everyone and their dog. I would contact the nearest water users group to the place you intend going. They may have valuable info on where is OK and where is not. Even if it is OK you need to use your discretion and be sensitive to others around you. The club is fighting hard to promote responsible and fun hovercraft use with guides accessible on this site. Good luck

Cheers

Steve H
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2009, 12:41 pm »

Hi Davy,

Congratulations on building your first hovercraft!

In general, beach operation is a no-no as you say.  Unless it is a totally deserted beach with no one living next to it and isn't an SSSI/SAC/etc then it really isn't a good idea as you are guaranteed to annoy someone (we have spent considerable time and effort trying to overturn "bans" caused by things like beach operation so pleeeeeease don't do it!). 

My advice would be to find some tidal water (it's OK to cross a beach to get to the water) - you will find a hovercraft comes into it's own on water.  It is important that you check the operational limits of your craft before going onto the water (ask the manufacturer) and take normal watersport safety measures (lifejacket, etc, etc)

The HoverClub has a guide on finding cruising sites, a cruise site location map and much other information available to members.  We also run training and safety courses for new owners. 
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013, 1:42 pm by John Robertson »