« Reply #1970 on: Dec 02, 2016, 6:21 pm »

Got bored with Hovercraft so thought I'd try something else!!
Can't get it out of the F------ garage!!
                                                        I  Can"t   get mine in the  f------garage!!      :'(   

Tom.

Kip

« Reply #1969 on: Dec 02, 2016, 6:03 pm »

Run up those engines. If nothing else does they will come out on their own.
Kip

« Reply #1968 on: Dec 02, 2016, 1:07 pm »

Got bored with Hovercraft so thought I'd try something else!!
Can't get it out of the F------ garage!!

« Reply #1967 on: Nov 16, 2016, 7:37 pm »

Being one of the "Four". Weather conditions were good and there was very little wind and wave state was.................well, see for youself (see pic).
I can confirm that most of the craft's damage was created by the RNLI rescue to lift it on-board. They used initially a rope around the steering yoke to lift the craft; then when the yoke bent it was moved to the bow and hence that breaking. No negatives to the RNLI. They were great. The pilot had been rescued by one of the remaining three craft immediately and we all had then re-grouped & headed for the beach at Alum Bay; pilot was fine. The craft though could have been a shipping hazard of course hence the call to the RNLI. I was the craft through before the incident and although choppy it was not difficult to negotiate it with care and the BHC Marlin III performed well to fly through the gap. Freak waves are out there and yes; the day you treat the sea with disregard is the time you should give it all up and stay land side!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2016, 7:48 pm by Jimmy Cooper »
A BHC Marlin mk3 and Coastal Pro  Owner

« Reply #1966 on: Nov 16, 2016, 7:36 pm »

A facebook quote from a harbour pilot photographed on a rope ladder with no life jacket ...

" Thank you for advising for the safety for today not having the lifejacket.due to sunny day.M.V.MSC.POSITANO."
Current position :)
25.02194 N / 55.04458 E 

« Reply #1965 on: Nov 16, 2016, 7:22 pm »

A facebook quote from a harbour pilot photographed on a rope ladder with no life jacket ...

" Thank you for advising for the safety for today not having the lifejacket.due to sunny day.M.V.MSC.POSITANO."

« Reply #1964 on: Nov 15, 2016, 5:37 pm »

A useful supplier of 'stuff' - they take PayPal.  Good cable tie prices too.

https://www.beal.org.uk

« Reply #1963 on: Nov 13, 2016, 11:08 am »

Cute! Tying him by his front paws to an electric fence helped!!!!! 
A BHC Marlin mk3 and Coastal Pro  Owner

Kip

« Reply #1962 on: Nov 13, 2016, 10:45 am »

« Reply #1961 on: Nov 04, 2016, 9:19 pm »

Someone once said that the day you stop being scared of the sea is the day you die.  You are very vulnerable in a small craft - of any sort.

Just thought I'd add that comment to raise the vibes .....

Kip

« Reply #1960 on: Nov 04, 2016, 7:34 pm »

Totally endorse what Ian has just written.
All our craft had buoyancy in the side bodies to give stability and as much as physically possible at the rear.
Osprey 5 had built in buoyancy compartments in the planing surfaces.

kip

« Reply #1959 on: Nov 04, 2016, 6:49 pm »

The RNLI and the other independant rescue organisations are superb and deserve all our support.

This event does illustrate some important points which were discussed in the Tech Corner article on off-cushion stability. It's important that a craft will float reasonably level and stable when swamped - this one did not, you can see how easily the RNLI guys rolled it over. Thats because it did not have enough bouyancy located far enough out towards the gunwales. This is a particular issue in craft with wet plenums, where a dry plenum is used you see much better intrinsic off-cushion roll stability.

If the swamped roll stability is poor, it'll tip you out and you won't be able to get back on the hull, upturned or not, as it'll continue to roll over each time you try. I can tell you its a huge relief to be out of the water and sitting on a floating platform whilst waiting for rescue, rather than in the water.

The good news is that it would be very easy to check your own craft, to see if it has floatation material fitted in the plenum. If it does not, then with a little ingenuity it is relatively easy to fit some. So go and check! Anyone with a wet plenum craft should be doing so.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Kip

« Reply #1958 on: Nov 04, 2016, 6:26 pm »

Just noticed "Nowts" now done over 200,000
Wow.

Kip

Kip

« Reply #1957 on: Nov 04, 2016, 6:24 pm »

Just had the info on what happened.
4 craft went out fully equipped with all the safety gear and experienced operators.
Good weather and moderate seas. 3 craft passed a point with no drama but craft 4 got caught between 2 waves and dropped a considerable depth in between and the next wave strike the craft high up and turned  it over.
All damage was caused after the incident by waves and recovery.
RNLI were perfectly fine about the incident and the knowledge and equipment carried by all concerned.

Kip

Mustang Hovercraft

« Reply #1956 on: Nov 04, 2016, 5:39 pm »

The bow appeared to be intact prior to it being lifted

EDIT: Oooops - just read your comment Mr. Nick  :D