« Reply #710 on: Apr 04, 2013, 7:04 pm »

You are living the wrong country, see at  0:50 :) :) :) :) :) and 2:00 :) :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=losc4-efxKA#ws

implanecrazy

« Reply #709 on: Apr 04, 2013, 6:45 pm »

There is even a country called *igger, but if you say that in public you will get arrested or murdered ???   I think it's proper promounciation is nigjair or something along those lines

« Reply #708 on: Apr 04, 2013, 2:35 pm »

Some of these language glitches keep you surprised. A tour guide in Indonesia was named Swastika he explained it means good luck there. Also further in the journey we assumed Phuket would be pronounced locally phewkett but they pronounced just like a school boy would want! (Our Western culture really is only a part of the world)

« Reply #707 on: Apr 02, 2013, 5:52 pm »

Some historical trivia. The German word for cyclone is zyklon which has become a dirty word since the nazis used prussic acid gas to kill the Jews. It was branded as "Zyklon B" which had the odorant removed so that the victims couldn't smell it.
In 2002 Umbro, the sportswear manufacturer were going to launch a training shoe called Zyklon. This met with such a bad press due to the association with the holocaust that it changed the name of the shoe.

Good job a certain hovercraft manufacturer didn't translate the name of his product for the German market eh?

Brighton Pier originally named their roller coaster Zyklon. It was swiftly renamed Turbo for the reasons given above...
Cheers
Chris.

gavinparson

« Reply #706 on: Apr 02, 2013, 12:17 pm »

Some historical trivia. The German word for cyclone is zyklon which has become a dirty word since the nazis used prussic acid gas to kill the Jews. It was branded as "Zyklon B" which had the odorant removed so that the victims couldn't smell it.
In 2002 Umbro, the sportswear manufacturer were going to launch a training shoe called Zyklon. This met with such a bad press due to the association with the holocaust that it changed the name of the shoe.

Good job a certain hovercraft manufacturer didn't translate the name of his product for the German market eh?

« Reply #705 on: Apr 01, 2013, 10:08 am »

Thanks Al, watched twice! and in the same week we saw the white house "supposedly targeted" by a North Korean ICBM. Yes Humans are indeed a "diverse breed" :-\
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

implanecrazy

« Reply #704 on: Apr 01, 2013, 8:36 am »

Time lapse video of the earth as viewed from the ISS

http://www.wimp.com/stunningearth/

« Reply #703 on: Mar 30, 2013, 8:34 pm »

http://www.ssfreshspring.co.uk/index.html

Good news for those who use the River Severn - I've watched Freshspring deteriorate from a fully functioning ship to a near hulk,  so this has to be good news :-)

« Reply #702 on: Mar 25, 2013, 2:04 pm »

While doing a tour of diy shops I noticed toolstation are doing bits for RNLI including recycling envelopes for mobile phones, satnavs, mp3 players, digital cameras, portable games consoles & ink cartridges. "For every items that is successfully recycled The Recycling Factory will make a donation on your behalf to RNLI" No idea what donation but I have a couple of redundant mobis & always get empty ink carts that will hopefully add a few quid to RNLI coffers.

If you don't have a toolstation near you, you can order extra envelopes from therecyclingfactory.com/rnli or tel:0800 0910696

« Reply #701 on: Mar 24, 2013, 10:03 pm »

All they make is a craft designed by kip, or a craft designed by kip that they cut in half and made wider!
Here they all are
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #700 on: Mar 24, 2013, 8:56 pm »

All they make is a craft designed by kip, or a craft designed by kip that they cut in half and made wider!

« Reply #699 on: Mar 24, 2013, 1:41 pm »

I suspect that as FF don't manufacture racing craft Russ has decided to buy a proven craft for his chosen formula, and then use his facilities to modify it to suit him, as there isn't really a market for racing craft.
HTH.

Cheers for that update Russ it looks like a machine that will get the adrenalin pumping in the pic on FB , I didn't realise f fish do not make any racing craft.

studlyone

« Reply #698 on: Mar 24, 2013, 1:37 pm »

Kip if anybody ever did a hovercraft family tree you would be right up there with Cockerell

Uncanny likeness  ;D

« Reply #697 on: Mar 24, 2013, 1:28 pm »

Kip if anybody ever did a hovercraft family tree you would be right up there with Cockerell

Kip

« Reply #696 on: Mar 24, 2013, 10:25 am »

Al, they have the F35 formula specifically designed for industrial engines.
Formed in 1995 as the F25 and I am the proud owner of the Stifkit for being 1st in the first round of the new championship.
I believe that the USA still runs F25 and it is the biggest attended formula.
Originally F25 was set up to improve craft design as no tuning was allowed. Drivers were weighed and all craft were ballasted to the heaviest driver of the day.That was up to a limit of 14 stone.
You therefore competed on an equal footing and the best craft or driver won.
F25 came about after the launch of Osprey 1 which used then available 18hp engine.
It was upgraded to F25 when that engine came out.
Very proud to be one of the F25 founding fathers.

Kip