Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #110 on: Jun 14, 2011, 8:18 am »

Why the engine was sooooo unreliable I never knew...  V4 4 stroke if I remember correctly? Or was it a V2.....

Loved it though!

Any takers on picture 111 then? Hard one....

B.

nj673

« Reply #109 on: Jun 13, 2011, 9:02 pm »

Everyone wanted a go on the Jammer, but the plumbers [weapons guys to the non RAF tyes] jealously guarded that privalidge.  I dont recal ever actualy getting to drive one - Ive started a few when the plumbers wore themselves out trying to get a reluctant one going.

It certainly was a awsome thing.

Gordon

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #108 on: Jun 13, 2011, 8:53 pm »

Yes very scary...

It was taken in the Falklands on my second tour....

And lastly (sorry you civy scum buckets, bit or nostalgia!)

My all time favourite picture...

Me driving a "jammer", proper name, type "T" weapons loader, unreliable engine, independent power steering (never knew which way it was going to turn and how fast, which is why you always drove it with one hand holding onto the bodywork, NOT a posy thing a safety thing) originally designed for aircraft carriers (F4 Phantom).

I could write a book on how good the "jammer" was as I am sure Gordon can vouch? Use it to fit a SUU Gun (a sort of Gatling gun) to the under belly, skilled job... If you look at my original picture of the Phantom's rear, that is the SUU gun hanging in the middle with the access panel lying on the floor.

I have to admit, I was blooming good looking in those days! And I still have that furry hat in my van!

B.

nj673

« Reply #107 on: Jun 13, 2011, 8:30 pm »

Thought you might like that one Gordon! I was trying to find this picture when you were talking about it some time back....

Next question is... where is the picture taken?

I might add here that Gordon was an engine guy and I was a weapons guy. Seems like a lifetime ago all this my friend, I do miss the aircraft! especially the Pantom....

Sore knees, saw head (too many stickyoutythings underneath), saw back... oh joy!

B.

Gut feeling is Germany.  Each time I cut myself on something, which was frequent, I daubbed A+ with the blood on the offending article.  I cant believe the RAF gave 19yr old adolescents those things to play with, I'm certain the elfin safety guys would have a fit nowadays.

Probably would have then if they knew what we got up to sometimes.

Gordon

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #106 on: Jun 13, 2011, 8:22 pm »

Thought you might like that one Gordon! I was trying to find this picture when you were talking about it some time back....

Next question is... where is the picture taken?

I might add here that Gordon was an engine guy and I was a weapons guy. Seems like a lifetime ago all this my friend, I do miss the aircraft! especially the Pantom....

Sore knees, saw head (too many stickyoutythings underneath), saw back... oh joy!

B.

nj673

« Reply #105 on: Jun 13, 2011, 8:12 pm »

What about this then?

B.

Ooh err been there done that, on 111, [at least] you werent consided to be a true 'oily' untill you had the wick turned up enough to get it into reheat on the pan.  The usual excuse was that you couldnt get the fuel to transfer from the drop tanks into the main tanks at 80% power, which is almost certainly whats going on here. Most of us only did it the once because once was all it took!!!  Any more than min reheat on one engine and you would push the 'toom plus whatever was attached to it across the dispersal.  As my friend Craig Parry aptly demonstrated to the Jaguar chaps at Lossiemouth one saturday morning when he did 'max mil' on one engine, then the other, just to liven up an otherwise dull morning.  Even Craig wasnt fooish enough to try BOTH engines at the same time.

Bad boys !!!

Gordon

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #104 on: Jun 13, 2011, 7:36 pm »

And lastly....

Something to remember.

B.

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #103 on: Jun 13, 2011, 7:24 pm »

It is no wonder these things go fast....

So would you if your bum was on fire like that!

Awesome times....

B.

jon.newbould

« Reply #102 on: Jun 13, 2011, 6:59 pm »

Phantom on full engine runs including afterburner

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #101 on: Jun 13, 2011, 5:52 pm »

What about this then?

B.

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #100 on: Jun 13, 2011, 5:51 pm »

Top banana Jon!

B.

Jon Pert

« Reply #99 on: Jun 13, 2011, 5:17 pm »

Your starter for ten...

What is this?

B.

Rear view of a Phantom?

« Reply #98 on: Jun 13, 2011, 7:27 am »

What is this?

ehrm.......Protected by the official secrets act?
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #97 on: Jun 12, 2011, 11:43 pm »

Your starter for ten...

What is this?

B.

« Reply #96 on: Jun 12, 2011, 10:59 pm »

Looks like the sodium bicarbonate and superglue trick nicely packaged !!!!

Memory gone dim here, I had heard some time back of using sodium bicarb but never got around to trying it. Better put some baking powder on my tool kit so that I can clean battery terminals and glue things together. Useful stuff.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2011, 11:26 pm by Philip »