Kip

« Reply #568 on: Dec 08, 2012, 2:17 pm »

That takes the expression COOL to  a whole new level.
Absolutely amazing.

Kip  8) 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #567 on: Dec 08, 2012, 11:56 am »

A new trailer design idea for Al?

http://www.wimp.com/boatramp/

gavinparson

« Reply #566 on: Dec 08, 2012, 7:47 am »

We just talk properly in the South East (apart from the chavs who are barely intelligible)

« Reply #565 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:40 pm »

Our local accent, ;D

« Reply #564 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:15 pm »

Up here the local dialect is Doric and you can still here it spoken in a pure form by much older people. It's a wonderful dialect and music to my ears that's still used in the rural farming community. 'Aye it's sare feicht for a half loaf' as they say up this way  :) .
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

Kip

« Reply #563 on: Dec 07, 2012, 7:32 pm »

Cockerney version for Nick

S-d all about b-----r all.

Kip

« Reply #562 on: Dec 07, 2012, 6:28 pm »

"Ilka cheil buckles his belt his ain gait "

Scots is now being taught in primary schools again after a small gap of 300 years or so  :) .

« Reply #561 on: Dec 07, 2012, 6:02 pm »

Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs: Hear all, see all, say nowt, tak' all, keep all, gie nowt, and if tha ever does owt for nowt do it for thysen

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/hear-all-see-all-say-nowt-tak-all-keep-all-gie-nowt-and-if-tha-ever-does-owt-for-nowt-do-it-for-thysen#ixzz2EOCp0Zb1
My rough translation goes something like;
"Listen and watch everybody, keep your own council, and accept all gifts whilst not sharing your bounty with your fellow man, and if you are ever in the position of extending your efforts toward your fellows, make sure the profits return direct towards you."
As a Yorkshire man I was brought up on many such sayings, thinking in my unfading naivety, that "nesh" was a real word!  (indicating one "felt the cold more than most", etc etc.)
Can I point out this thread was started by Mr Kiplington (who is only a "pretend Yorkshireman" and so is  using the term in a "rather cockney way" I gather that Lee Evans does a good turn entitled "Riddled with Cockney" and would dearly enjoy this to be put up here (to help take our minds off what our "government" are doing to us!) ;) gnf

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #560 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:20 pm »

Aye, but do you know what a 'fortnight' is? My US colleagues all look at me blankly when I use that word!

Apart from not knowing what a fortnight is, my US colleagues asked me if I always eat that way (properly, with a knife and fork), said they loved my Australian accent and when told I was from England, thought I meant New England!
Mike S

« Reply #559 on: Dec 06, 2012, 9:17 pm »

...by the way...I always wondered what the heck nowt and owt meant.  I guessed it was 'off topic' due to the nature of this thread, and I happened to google the terms today and found they were older Northern England terms for 'nothing,' and 'anything.'  So, Nothing to do with anything for us Yanks!  ;)   My ancestry is Welsh, so I'm sure there's some 2-mile-long word that sums it up, too ;)

Aye, but do you know what a 'fortnight' is? My US colleagues all look at me blankly when I use that word!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #558 on: Dec 06, 2012, 9:04 pm »

i thought it was french?

Kip

« Reply #557 on: Dec 06, 2012, 9:00 pm »

Or alternatively Owt to do with Nowt!!

Kip ;D ;D

« Reply #556 on: Dec 06, 2012, 8:46 pm »

Looks like your friends on the other side of the Channel have discovered a new way to enjoy an old jet ski!

...by the way...I always wondered what the heck nowt and owt meant.  I guessed it was 'off topic' due to the nature of this thread, and I happened to google the terms today and found they were older Northern England terms for 'nothing,' and 'anything.'  So, Nothing to do with anything for us Yanks!  ;)   My ancestry is Welsh, so I'm sure there's some 2-mile-long word that sums it up, too ;)
www.hovernut.com
Hoverclub of America, Amphibious Marine & SEVTEC Kits

« Reply #555 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:14 am »

Want to see the snow from your house window? then follow the link and type in your address.....
http://pusher.com.au/clients/pusher-christmas-2012/
Kev

I just need to look out the window to see that Kev

kevthehover

« Reply #554 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:36 pm »

Well its telling the truth then Al...lol
Kev