« Reply #650 on: Feb 22, 2013, 7:45 pm »

Pauls union jack craft I believe had one of the earlier small ducts on which SURE hovered well, just like Dave Ibbotsons. Mine was the larger quieter duct, (perhaps more thrust) but never quite hovered on her tips. Perhaps I weighed too much? ;)
I used to polish her at week ends. Sad? Certainly not, as it made me (and my neighbours) smile. :D
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #649 on: Feb 22, 2013, 7:36 pm »

Tapered duct was simply outer thin skin joining the  frd outer flared bell mouth with the trailing duct edge. (standard on Kestrels.) Nice one Kip. I "hid" my fire ext within this void on my cruiser. My claim to winning was simply it never ceased. In those days not stopping meant you were likely "to Podium". tho it wasnt a verb in those days, more a thing you sat on first thing in the morning,,,

« Reply #648 on: Feb 22, 2013, 7:30 pm »

Gee Al that was good. I feature @4.56 ish in red Kestrel GT 503 (courtesy of Mr Kip). with matching red over alls for that extra smooth look. NEVER let me down. Keith Oakleys "Spirit of Snodland" (if my memories apply),which I gather is STILL working now, and it was old in 1979!! :D

implanecrazy

« Reply #647 on: Feb 22, 2013, 7:10 pm »

Some of the craft seemed to have a tapered thrust duct, or was it a duct cover.  Would a tapered thrust duct increase thust or reduce it?

Would a tapered duct increase noise?

Kip

« Reply #646 on: Feb 22, 2013, 6:51 pm »

Al,
That sure did bring back some memories for me.
I believe that I saw a certain Mr Flint out there along with his bosom pal Dave Ibbotson.
I was particularly delighted to see my Paul, Union Jack Kestrel No 130.
Paul went on to be F1 Champion for 7 years on the trot.
The No 1 man!!
The little feller with the "anti plough" was Phil Alderman who for 5 years was unbeatable in F3.
Great Guy.

Note the dominance of twin ducts,and even a triple which I believe was driven by Nigel Beale.

I wonder who the baby faced kid was standing next to Roy Smart at the briefing? :P
Roy actually quit a 3 hour race due to financial reasons having bust about 3 sets of blades.
I think he ran out of cash for the day.
In those days if you stayed over hump and didn't bust any blades you stood a good chance of being on the podium.

Stanford Hall was generally accepted as being the best Racing site we ever used.
Though for me the best race of the season was the Sunday morning marathon race at Mere Brow.

Good Days.

Kip

implanecrazy

« Reply #645 on: Feb 22, 2013, 6:52 am »

This should bring back some memories for some of you.

I like the anti plough device about a minute into the video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKvTrMjggOA#

« Reply #644 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:49 am »

The biggest thing ever built in the loch Carron area happened in the 70s

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=5973

implanecrazy

« Reply #643 on: Feb 17, 2013, 4:38 pm »

A cutting from a local paper

Kip

« Reply #642 on: Feb 17, 2013, 4:22 pm »

And all these last few posts are "Nowt to do with Out"
Can we please have at least on area where we all play nicely.
Ta Very Much,

Grandad Kip.  :-* :-*

« Reply #641 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 am »

Surely it's only a matter of time before two strokes are banned or totally out of production anyway (except in the third world maybe).

2 strokes have even been dropped from the MotoGP classes for a couple of years now

gavinparson

« Reply #640 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:12 am »

I agree, but development could have evolved the ideal racing engine, but nooooooo, let's go back to using an obsolete 503.

Tony Goldney proved that four strokes could win championships. Imagine if tuned Briggs 35s could have been made reliable.
Maybe the FF Rampage engine could be allowed into F50 one day (NOT F503). It would be amazing to see an affordable 50hp four stroke out there.

Surely it's only a matter of time before two strokes are banned or totally out of production anyway (except in the third world maybe).

Kip

« Reply #639 on: Feb 17, 2013, 9:46 am »

2 strokes = Power to weight mate.

Kip

gavinparson

« Reply #638 on: Feb 17, 2013, 8:05 am »

Two strokes have no place in hovercraft in the 21st century. It's surprising the racers are still using them with the high fuel consumption costs. But then they're still stuck in the 80s, using the same engines.

I'm glad two strokes are non virtually non-existant in cruisers. The only person I know who has one is swapping to a Briggs at the moment.

« Reply #637 on: Feb 17, 2013, 4:51 am »

I've seen some videos of a Polish fella with a 2-stroke Vanguard that just goes like a bat outta hell!  With the new Kohler 40s, there's no need at all for 2-cycle power on a Vanguard/Surveyor.  I'm not sure what was going through Barry's mind when showing the alternate 2-cycle twin-engine version of Prospector...maybe some builder was really pestering him about it, like the British Columbia crowd that pushed for the twin-engine Vanguards.

But a 2-stroke on an Explorer is just plain...WTF....when it's capable of so much better!  The 2-blade Warp Drive isn't doing him much good, either.  Ahh, the joys and frustrations of homebuilding!!  ;)

John Carter
www.hovernut.com
Hoverclub of America, Amphibious Marine & SEVTEC Kits

« Reply #636 on: Feb 16, 2013, 11:50 pm »

Yes and your comments to Al may as well stop as well ..it works both ways if you cant take it dont give it  ???