« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2020, 7:30 pm »

Hellfire Ian - that is astonishing. Here’s hoping it stays down that crucial 3 inches!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2020, 1:43 pm »

At least your all safe Ian that is the main thing .              Tom

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2020, 2:28 am »

Prep. Prep, Prep. Well done. In the unlikely event of a flood our house is on 3.5m steel stilts in 1m deep concrete foundations. "Downstairs" houses the laundry only on a concrete slab. Our major damage should be a lost water pump, for domestic supply, & a few quad bikes. The shed is a little higher still & should be fine, fingers crossed.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2020, 7:27 pm »

Hi

The Otter, boat and even the garden furniture is tied up to something solid, other wise it would float off!

The levee is designed to cope with a 100 yr flood event, water level > 6.2m \  20ft, normally 1-2m. That means huge fresh water levels coming down the river at the same time as an unusually high spring tide. So thats plan A

If it the levee was over topped, I have flood doors for the house as a secondary defense, plus pumps etc, to keep the water out of tbe house. Thats plan B.

If it gets through that lot, then the house is "flood resilient", which means that damage will be limited..For example, the downstairs floors are tiled, electrics are all well above the likely flood level, plasterwork is lime (can take a soaking), etc.  So thats plan C.

So hopefully were ready for all eventualities.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2020, 6:46 am »

Wow! Is there any danger of the Otter going AWOL? What's the likely damage to your house in an overflow of the levy? The back of our yard looks like that occasionally but the water has to rise about 20 feet.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2020, 8:41 pm »

oops that a bit close !!! :o
Mike B

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2020, 6:58 pm »

Oh Gosh Ian. That makes ME feel sick. How you manage to put up with that stress I don't know.
Sorry can't think of anything else to say. :-[

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2020, 6:24 pm »

File Name: High tide at Minsterworth
File Submitted: March 12, 2020, 6:24:31 PM

This was my garden this morning, yep that is the garden bench floating! If you look carefully you can see the top of the crane poking out of the water. Its 8ft high! Which means the hover-park is under 6 ft of water.

The water came within 3" of overtopping last night    :o

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK