« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2020, 12:28 pm »

Just a short tale of the changing values as the old guard is replaced by the new order. We used to have trails in the bush to enable 4x4  fire trucks in to fight bush fires. Mysteriously these trails were called Fire Trails. We used to trundle along these tracks in our Series 2 Land-Rover,for a day out, visiting mountain streams so the kids could have a splash. Just a family day out. My mates & I would repair wash out erosion & damaged culverts as we went. All jolly fun. Then the N.P. accused us of tearing the place up & erected large gates & closed the trails.  A few years later an associate of mine, a member of the local mountain Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade stated that ever since the N.P. locked us out, the tracks are ruined & they couldn't get their trucks in to fight fires.  I've been informed since that the parks are no longer removing fallen trees from across the tracks & even allowing trees to grow through them. I'm nearly 67 now & can remember travelling on these trails as a small child. Not any more it seems. Might upset a frog or an anthill. 
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2020, 12:35 pm by Eric Yeoman »

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2020, 11:50 am »

I'm glad to hear you saved your house. I too believe that global warming is an issue. Electric hovercraft? Sounds improbable at the moment but we're working on electric aeroplanes and if we can do that then hovercraft will be possible. It's an exciting area.

We had huge flooding on the Somerset levels a few years ago, which occurred because the environment agency had stopped dredging the rivers. This is an area of reclaimed land that has been drained by largely artificial rivers for many hundreds of years, if dredging stops then slowly the land will return to the marsh it once was. Dredging stopped for years as priorities changed, and flooding was the result.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35298707

It seems to me we have to careful to avoid allowing our agencie's priorities to change to the detriment of people. This would seem to have parrellels in the situation you describe, where I presume that natural bush is being prioritised even in close vicinity to homes where it poses a clear risk. In the UK the head of the Environment Agency was forced to resign and we have seen dredging recommence in the affected areas, to the delight of the locals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-32032893

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2020, 10:29 am »

Gee thanks for the "on the spot" report.
I know one Australian chap over here, and he is a survivor.
Just perhaps why they refer to us as  "Wingeing Toms" ! ::)

Sorry can't access Facebook stuff.

Your comment about National Parks was most interesting and there is similar
in place in UK ref streams and rivers. Some friends were repeatedly flooded
by a stream running thro their land into their barns and house. They were forbidden
to do ANYTHING to the stream to allow swift run off stating THAT would exacerbate
problems down stream of THEM.
As ever "Its Complicated"!
Its only easy for the "uninformed onlooker" who sees only the surface problem.
Keep "thrusting" Eric!!!!  ;)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2020, 3:19 am »

A video & picci on Club Facebook page. The video is in Canberra, in the mountains & 225 klm away from the coastal fires. Have a look.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2020, 3:25 am by Eric Yeoman »

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2020, 3:16 am »

Thanks Nick, happy new year to all, of course. The fires are unprecedented her. The fires in California were bad but are a postage stamp on a truck tarp, in comparison to what is happening here. Bushfires are a part of life here & are expected every summer. Mitigation is done through tactical burn-offs in winter usually but for the past few years this has not been possible due to unacceptable risks because of unusual hot dry winter weather. Some will say climate change / global warming. I agree. As you have probably seen folks are fleeing to the beaches to be rescued by the navy. Inland entire towns have been wiped out. "Finger of Blame" for me & many others, points to the National Parks, who are very bad neighbours. Property owners, that border the parks are prohibited  by law, hefty fines, for cleaning up their fence lines & local councils wont allow tree/brush clearing on properties either.  A huge fire was burning about 8 ks to our North & the cops came & advised us to evacuate.We had a file of docs. & photo. albums, suitcase, clothes & water in the trusty Hyundai but decided to stand our ground. We put out a few spot fires, wind borne leaves & other folks who stayed stood together. The Volunteer Bush Fire Service stopped it. Australia, will recover. We do that.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2020, 6:22 pm »

Yes- DITTO all that but especially everyone in Australia having recently seen the EXTENT of the Bush Fires over there.
Im sure I speak for ALL members when we Wish You All Well and truly hope you gain some respite soon.
It all looks quite dreadful, especially the satellite images of the smoke pouring out and drifting towards New Zealand.
Historically Brits bemoan OUR weather systems over here, but we are growingly aware that our "SLIGHT excess rain
and heat at times" is NOTHING compared to what is being ENDURED by so many elsewhere.
You could almost insert - "EVERYWHERE ELSE"
Certainly UK weather IS "different nowadays" but I feel we are somewhat "Blessed" by our moderate climate.
Please note this perhaps won't stop me moaning about our "Grey Days" where nothing happens,
it just stares back , with no wind, no rain, no sun.
Lets just hope the extremes settle soon, so we can ALL take stock to perhaps plan a better future.
As I say--- " Fingarse crust."
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2020, 4:18 pm »

Happy Hovering New Year all :)

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2020, 9:24 am »

Happy new year to all of you

« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2020, 1:57 am »

You too  ;)

« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2020, 1:09 am »

Happy new year to one and all in hoverland!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK