Pete Gow

« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2019, 8:13 pm »

That's brilliant thank you and one I'll keep in mind but I can't see myself getting a craft anytime this side of next spring unless one comes up that needs work doing on it. there is one in Gloucester on Facebook market place that was almost tempting but it looks like it needs a l9t of work and is more of a racer again.

« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2019, 8:01 pm »

If you want to use Uphill, let me know Pete. 

I used to do hovercraft pilot training for a local school's CCF and we had quite a good training programme with Ian and Stui.  All voluntary but the kids loved it.  Then the craft blew a crank seal and the school refused to pay for it to be fixed!  Once you have a craft and if you want training to get to PLS2 let me or Ian know.

Pete Gow

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2019, 5:48 pm »

Thanks for the info Ross.
Weston used to be my hometown until 91 when I moved to the Forest of Dean and I remember my school having a hovercraft in the 80s and a few people had made a couple of simple ones that they used in the school fields and any open areas.
The amount of times I've been stuck in traffic on the M5 visiting family and tjinking how much easier the journey would be with a cruiser.

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2019, 5:11 pm »

If you get a cruising craft and do the training to get a PLS2 ticket, you can launch from Uphill ( southern end of Weston Beach ).  Miles of water from there but not suitable for a racing craft - it MUST float and be reliable AND QUIET !!! The BC and Severn as Ian says are not the place for unsuitable craft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2wIW2de-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHDQ-7_EOP4

« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2019, 9:25 pm »

I was aware of the one at Beachley but it looks a bit rocky on google maps and obviously some serious water movement.
I have a racing craft Ian and am having a lot of fun at the last couple of hcgb events but am very keen to use it somewhere not a million miles from Worcester and give friends a go.

There's serious water movement everywhere on the Severn! Personally I'd be reluctant to take a racing craft out on the Severn - it doesn't have enough freeboard nor floatation. Lydney Sands is a pretty dodgy place at the best of times, I treat it (and the River) with the utmost respect. If you get a cruiser let me know and I'll take you for a day on the Severn to remember  ;D
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Pete Gow

« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:35 pm »

Thank you for the offer and much appreciated.
Not so sure a racing craft would be ideal for a passenger or two but you're probably right and I'll end up wanting one.

hcjonboy

« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:24 am »

Good on him, sounds very organised & self motivated.
[/color]Yes the main Beachley slipway that is on the spot guide.
[/color]You are welcome to a ride in mine and some tips when I next have a weekend day free (although you may then want a racer :p)
[/color]Hopefully at Lydney as that looks the best so far.

Pete Gow

« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:08 am »

Sorry by lessons I mean although I've sailed plenty in  the past and piloted small boats I've never piloted a hovercraft
I assumed that some lessons from someone would be required before just jumping in and going.
Still half looking for a smallish craft that can be used for pleasure too.
My son chose the school as he hopes it will offer more than the school he was at to further his learning and career options when he's older so it is his choice and we support him.
The slip at Beachley I assume is the one that SARA use

hcjonboy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2019, 10:53 am »

[size=78%]Thanks for the replies and info chaps![/size]

I was aware of the one at Beachley but it looks a bit rocky on google maps and obviously some serious water movement.
I went on a mission to see if there was a good spot/ access at Arlingham and Fretherne but failed.
It’s good to know about the chap at Stonebench (up at Elmore I guess) but I was hoping to find a wider bit with sand.
Sorry to hear it’s such a long round trip for your son Pete, taking a hovercraft to school would be pretty epic!
I will call Lydney sailing club to see if they would allow access. What do you mean by lessons?
I have a racing craft Ian and am having a lot of fun at the last couple of hcgb events but am very keen to use it somewhere not a million miles from Worcester and give friends a go.
Jon

Pete Gow

« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2019, 7:07 am »

Sadly there are a lack of slipways this end of the Severn.
My son goes to school at Berkeley Green and we live in Lydney.
2.7 miles from my house to the school or a short hop over the
River and we had seriously considered getting a small hovercraft
And lessons with the school saying they would arrange a slip on their side but it's this side that causes the problem.
So he's sticking to a 70 mile round trip on public transport for now.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:35 pm »

Sadly the nearest public slipway is at Beachley

Provision of slipways into the tidal Severn is woefull, there are a few private slipways but not so many. Theres a chap at Stonebench who has a slipway that can be used if you ask nicely and bung him a tenner but theres nowhere you can just pull up and launch over the bank without knowing someone.  There's a slipway at Lydney, owned by Lydney yacht club. One of thier members has a hovercraft and launches from there, not sure how much membership would be.

I launch from my garden  ;) at Minsterworth, SW of Gloucester, using a crane to drop craft over the bank into the river.  The Severn can be an unforgiving place if you get the wrong time (the bore!), and some local knowledge is essential. Fortunately we have local knowledge! I occasionally have small "hover-ins" but I can only manage 2 guest craft at a time for various reasons, which is a bit limiting.

What sort of craft have you got?

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

hcjonboy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2019, 10:01 am »

Hi, that looks like a fan-tastic spot! Could you please tell me where is best to launch? I have been looking for a safe spot around this area for a couple of years now.
Thanks
Jon

« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2019, 7:30 am »

Yep!
Thats me alright------- ::)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2019, 10:42 pm »

Opposite the Anchor Inn but more or less right!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2019, 6:05 pm »

Is that opposite the "ferry inn"?
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT